Sign in to follow this  

Anyone like Dunlop AT81s front and rear on your 501 ?

Looks like the new FEs come with Dunlop AT81 tires.  I've read mixed reviews, but still might try them (front and rear) on my 501S for pure offroad riding, single track, intermediate to hard terrain with occasional mud. 

Anyone here like them enough to buy them again?

Edited by decooney

They weren't bad. My 350 came with the 81 on the rear and geo max 51 front. The 81 has a low side wall, but other than that, not bad.

Running the standard casing AT 81 on the rear (MX 52 up front). I'd rate it 8/10 riding Oregon/Washington woodsy singletrack, plus some desert riding in western Colorado and Utah. Far better than the stock Michelin that comes on the 501 S and no chunking or pinch flats running 10 psi with a Tube Saddle. 

Not a Husqvarna but on my Sherco and Beta the rear performs very good until wet top soil. The front was gone in three rides! AT81rc rear works great at 0psi TuBliss, regular AT81 worked great until a knobby tore.

I highly recommend the maxxis desert for the conditions you described! I run them on My Xr650r and two stokes as well. I ride very fast and this is my new favorite front knobby now that Dunlop dropped my old fave the 952. I even run it on the street and is pretty good at highway speeds despite not being a DOT approved tire. Most every bike I see in Baja wares these maxxis shoes now. Any tire choice is s compromise in the off road world as conditions change. On my fe501s I only get a few rides out of any rear tire before it has lost its grip. I might have to start a savings account just for rubber!

I met with an inside Dunlop ex-racer and rider rep during the International Motorcycle show last week, asking why more than a few people complain about the front and yet the layout looks to be familiar and similar to other popular tires people use to rave about such as the former Dunlop 756 and today's 216 GT tire. Apparently the new AT81 was modeled after the popular 756.  Tread looks close side by side.  He was not sure of the complaints about the AT81 "front" and said many of their SoCal riders and racers have been winning on the AT81s lately, rattled off a huge list of names using them around the world so none of it makes sense to me.  I guess I'll just need to try them and see just how bad they are :)  In the MXA Wrecking Crew review, they loved the front but said they "shredded the back".  Marketing hype or not, show knows but this was their test report on the front - 4 out of 5 stars,

MXA-WC quote: "If you are looking for a great all-around front tire, you would have a hard time doing better than the Dunlop Geomax AT81. This is a very good front tire, whether it be offroad or on a motocross track", unquote.  

Can't imagine it's bad after reading this, but I'll give it a go on my next set.  

A few photos of the former 756 front and new AT81 front after -  seems similar, but not exactly the same.  

former D756 front: 

dk540303.jpg

NEW AT81 front:

N-GEOMAX_AT81F_Front_3-4s-750x1012.jpg

I loved the ole 756 front it was my fav until it was phased out. I then moved on to the 952. I love the way both of these handled and soft and hard conditions I do see if you highway miles and both were fair on the highway if not pushed hard. I'm interested in feedback on the new Dunlop especially how does it handle at speed on the highway? Any dual sport tire is a compromise I find the 606 and the Pirelli MT 21 to be flat out dangerous off road. I prefer a non dot Nobby that is acceptable on the street. I have gotten some feedback from a few people that have run AT81 on the street and they say its pretty shaky over 60mph on pavement. The maxxis desert is the best knobby I've run on the pavement since the Dunlop 952. I rode the Maxis on the highway in the rain recently wasn't bad I guess I will have to try the new Dunlop myself after a few more miles.

... on the highway, ... this is a dual sport thread

Where do you get that from ?, this is an AT81 question and thread under the Husqvarna 4-Stroke forum.    

• Like 1

Hmmmm....Looks like the 2016 KTM 250 XC-F, 350 XC-F, 450 XC-F offroad bikes are equipped with the Dunlop AT81 tires now... not that it's good or bad, however it will be good to see how many riders just wear them out first before taking them off and replacing them with something else early on.  

No worries! I thought the original post was coming from some one claiming so have an s model fe501s. Best way to find out how a tire works for you is to buy one and use it! Even on my wr250r I generally go through three fronts and five rears in one season and that's just one of my dualsports! yeah I ride..! Once I find a shoe that fits I usually wear it until it goes out of production! Having someone else tell you what kind of tire to run or what gear ratio to run its like someone telling you what size underwear you should buy! One size does not fit all throttle on go out there and get some money on your bikes most the pictures I see everyone fights too darn clean I put over 200 miles on my husky yesterday in the mud sleet and rain

...Having someone else tell you what kind of tire to run or what gear ratio to run its like someone telling you what size underwear you should buy! 

Okay, I'll disregard your post then. Thanks.  

• Like 1

What ever suits you! If you haven't tried a tire you are only trusting someone's opinion! At 44 years old I have no one to impress but myself! I'm not here for that. This is an info forum not a rumor mill. I have enough credentials and accomplishments in the real motorcycle world to have respect from my own peers including having brought home first place trophies from winning off road motorcycle races in foreign countries. I have not yet tried the new Geomax AT81 Dunlop. I'll take a couple to Baja. I was just curious if anyone here had run one on their dual sport bike and had any feedback as to how it handles on the pavement. Friends of mine who own a local Husqvarna Honda Kawasaki dealership steered me towards the Maxis when I griped about the disappearance of the Dunlop 952F. They gave the AT81 high reviews but recommended I keep it off the highway or hard pack dirt due to its shakiness over 60 miles an hour. They know how many tires I buy and want me to be happy. When I return from Mexico I will let you know how it treated me.

What ever suits you! If you haven't tried a tire you are only trusting someone's opinion! At 44 years old I have no one to impress but myself! I'm not here for that. This is an info forum not a rumor mill. I have enough credentials and accomplishments in the real motorcycle world to have respect from my own peers including having brought home first place trophies from winning off road motorcycle races in foreign countries. I have not yet tried the new Geomax AT81 Dunlop. I'll take a couple to Baja. I was just curious if anyone here had run one on their dual sport bike and had any feedback as to how it handles on the pavement. Friends of mine who own a local Husqvarna Honda Kawasaki dealership steered me towards the Maxis when I griped about the disappearance of the Dunlop 952F. They gave the AT81 high reviews but recommended I keep it off the highway or hard pack dirt due to its shakiness over 60 miles an hour. They know how many tires I buy and want me to be happy. When I return from Mexico I will let you know how it treated me.

I agree this is an info forum and not a rumor mill and this is why I was looking for feedback from those who've actually tried the AT81 tire and liked it. Yeah, finding "dealers" to openly recommend a non-DOT knobby tire for the highway use will be few and far between.  

Please do let us know how it goes after you've tried the AT81.  Thanks!