Sign in to follow this  

2002 z250 airbox removal

Hi,

just got this yz and I'm super excited.  Going to be trail riding it, hare scrambles, things like that.

I'm going through and cleaning it up, doing maintenance, checking things out (haven't had a chance to take it out yet!)

I pulled the air filter and noticed dirt down past it in the air box.  How do I get that off?  The plastic between the airbox and the carb.  I looked in the manual I found online and couldn't find it.  Do I have to remove the sub-frame?

Has anyone ever added holes with the little filter plugs to get more air in the airbox?  Is it needed?  Looks like the air only comes into the box on the bottom through a little slot.

Also, it has the ProCircuit with 304 shorty on it.  From what I've read, the FMF gnarly and one of the turbine or quietcore's give more low down and mid and sounds like something I'd like.

So, if anyone is looking for the ProCircuit and 304, send me a message.  I'd like to sell or trade.

How important is a skid plate? I'm in the PacNW and mostly single track in the woods.  I'm having a little trouble finding parts like skid plates, anyone know of a good source that still makes stuff for the steel frames?

Thanks for any info!

Edited by crc515

Remove subframe with airbox and clean with solvent or pressure washer. I can't imagine it needing any additional flow to the air box. A skid plate isn't absolutely necessary but is essential if you want to keep the frame from getting beat up. All the good accessories are available for steel framed yzs from local dealer or online (rockymountainmc.com, denniskirk.com, etc).

Thanks, guess I'll be taking the whole back off.  

I've found maintenance parts at those places, I was talking more about the skid plates, guards, and extras like that.  Seems most places, MSR, Thor, Acerbic, are only making those for the aluminum frame and newer.  I'd like a good plastic one that also wraps around the water pump, but can't find one new.

I don't think there are any full wrap carbon or plastic skid plates made for steel frame yz's anymore. If you find one let me know. I have the ricochet (same as moose I think) and it is bullet proof...but you do have to take it off once a year to beat it back it shape. I also take a sander to the bottom of it at that time to smooth out the gouges and rough spots caused by rocks so it slides better over trees/roots. (Not sure how much that helps lol)

I was trying to compare the alum frame ones to the steel ones.  Don't seem to be that much difference.  I think I might try it and see.  Even if I have to drill some new mounting holes or whatever.

I don't think there are any full wrap carbon or plastic skid plates made for steel frame yz's anymore. If you find one let me know. I have the ricochet (same as moose I think) and it is bullet proof...but you do have to take it off once a year to beat it back it shape. I also take a sander to the bottom of it at that time to smooth out the gouges and rough spots caused by rocks so it slides better over trees/roots. (Not sure how much that helps lol)

Hyde racing make a plastic skid plate, I have one for my 2002 and like it a lot

Hyde has been out of skid plates for steel frame yz's for a while. Maybe email them and ask if they have any intention of building more?

They Hyde looks nice.  I emailed them to see if anymore will be made and let you know.  The MSR one looks nice as well, just not sure if it would cover the water pump.  I'm sure I could figure out a way to get it to stay on, but it;s hard to see if it would actually protect everything and if the frame rails are the correct width apart.