Plugging bars after removing handguards?

Surely this has been discussed before but I don't know what terms with which to search, so here goes:

When I remove my wrap around handguards from my bike to go to the track, I don't like the holes that are left in the grips. I am afraid of plowing debris into the throttle tube. Duck tape lasts a few sessions but I'm sure someone has done it better. I'm picturing a baby expansion plug of some sort.

Anyone done something like this?

Thanks!

just leave the handguards on... if you absolutely feel you MUST ride without them for some reason, dont worry about the few specs of dust that will get in there. its not the end of the world.

or you can get new grips every time you take your hand guards off.

your baby expansion plug would only stop stuff from going in the bars. not under the throttle tube.

keep the guards on, or swap grips every time too.

• Like 1

Search "Billet Bar end plugs"  on Flea-Bay. Plenty of brands make them. RHK is one.

They'll pass the scrutineer. If you fit new grips just put the right sized coin in the end of the grip before fitting it. I.e. We use a 10 cent piece here in Oz.

Full wrap hand guards (wrist breakers) Suck. Next time just get some good brush guards.

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 2

I had an incident this year going around a fast, sweeping right turn, it was an ATV trail and grown in with tall vegetation. I was keeping right, skirting the shrubbery with my right barkbuster and a hidden, downed 4inch treelimb made direct contact with my BB. I wasn't expecting it, so my right hand got jolted from the hand grip and my knuckles got bashed into BB, I didn't go down, but had a sore hand and a busted RR blinkerlens. Is that a similar scenario to where a barkbuster can break your wrist?

I had an incident this year going around a fast, sweeping right turn, it was an ATV trail and grown in with tall vegetation. I was keeping right, skirting the shrubbery with my right barkbuster and a hidden, downed 4inch treelimb made direct contact with my BB. I wasn't expecting it, so my right hand got jolted from the hand grip and my knuckles got bashed into BB, I didn't go down, but had a sore hand and a busted RR blinkerlens. Is that a similar scenario to where a barkbuster can break your wrist?

Ass over Tit is how you best break wrists with full wrap handguards? .

Translation ? . (Head over handle bars).

So you go over the handlebars, and by not letting go, your wrists hit the barkbusters?

Very easy for your wrists to slip down into the guards before you go over the bars. SNAP!

I've clipped trees with brush guards. Never been an Issue, they're all the protection you need. And, your throttle will never stick on because of them.

i understand the no guards thing or just running flag style for the track or even desert. but i have no idea how you ride woods without full wraps. i've destroyed a few pairs bouncing off trees, my hands would be useless clubs without them.

Here's a suggestion  ? .Have a crack at going around the trees  :devil: . You're not supposed to hit them. They'll only slow you down ? .

Still bill, I thought about that but the throttle tube would still be vulnerable, plus the less I mess with those funky bolts the better.

Away from the track, I get into some gnarly stuff. Wraparounds are the only way to go there.

Rubbish!