Sign in to follow this  

Unknown Stalling Issue

Bike is a 2000 DRZ400E converted to street legal. Just bought it in August, and rebuilt most of the bike including suspension, 434 CW kit, new linkage/steering/wheels bearings, rewired dual sport kit, etc.

Bike ran great through the whole break in process. I took it out to Ocotillo Wells for its first hard off road ride over the weekend. Did a short ride Friday, and then a longer ride across the park with friends Saturday. After about 30 off road miles, we stopped and topped off with gas and got something to eat. Got ready to leave and the bike wouldn't idle and then suddenly wouldn't start at all after a few attempts. No odd noise, smells, or smoke, just wouldn't start. The bike was warm, but not hot at this point.

I did a quick glance over the bike and suddenly remembered I had forgotten to torque down the little cylinder nuts on the side after re-torqueing the head bolts to 43lbs the night before (went by manual upon initial install and did 34lbs). I didn't think that would cause the bike not to start, but pushed it to a shop across the street anyways. The nuts and bolts were indeed loose and the mechanic there tightened them all down for me. The bike started up immediately after that. I figured it was odd they made that much of a difference, but it was running, so we headed off back across the desert to camp. 

We got 3 miles into the dez when the bike started missing and within 10 seconds she died completely again. We were riding at a pretty casual pace down a straight trail at the time. I couldn't get it restarted. Compression felt good, and I didn't see any coolant on the dipstick so I didn't think there was a head gasket issue.

Friends left to get their truck while I pushed it out of the desert back to the gas station. Friend's come back with a truck 2 hours later and the bike started right up after cooling down.

Brought the bike home, and now I can't get it to mimic the problem.

Electrical:

Tested the stator and the regulator/rectified both hot and cold and they're in spec. The battery is charging and voltage is in spec. Went over all wiring on the bike. No burnt connectors, no bad grounds. All of the lights/accessories are run off the original wiring to the headlight and taillight, so if anything was shorting, the fuse would go, but the fuse is good, so that rules out that possibility. Also, the lights remained on when the bike died, so the accessories aren't shorting and the battery wasn't dead, so that tells me the stator was still charging the battery and not shorted.

Engine:

No gas or coolant in the oil. Compression feels strong with the kickstarter and the bike runs very well all the way to the rev limiter under load, so I don't think there are any gasket issues. Spark plug looks good. Carburetor is clean, no contamination.

I've put another 45 minutes of run time on the bike since getting it home, and I can't get it to die again. The bike runs fine at full operating temps and I'm at a loss as to what caused the issue.

Anyone have some tips on what else to be looking for?

Appreciate it,

Nick

Edited by Nick C.

It's a plastic tank, but I suppose it could get clogged. I'll have to check it. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.

Gas cap seems to be fine. I can blow through the vent on the cap, and the tube isn't clogged.

Nick, pull your stator cover off and check for burnt or melted spots on the stator. Mine had an intermitant lack of power an quiting. Very intermitant at first, so much that i forgot about it between occurances, untill one day it wouldn't run over 4k rpm, just bucked and farted down the road. A new stator cleared it up, as has done for many other DRZ'ers with intermitant running problems. My stator looked very crispy, some of the plastic all melted, yet mine still charged the battery well and all my elecrtical tests on the stator read fine, strange!!!

I'll pull it apart tonight and take a look. Appreciate the input. This is the first time I've wished it would break down so I can at least diagnose it...