Sign in to follow this  

carb issues with my 79 rm125

so i just got a rm125 in exchange for a 50cc scooter, which i traded for a non running 86 rm80. this this runs in neutral and you can revv it up, but as soon as the guy put it in gear and tried to take off it died. the guy thinks theres some problem with the needle. idk, the needle is there, it's not bent.. i noticed it's missing the idle adjustment screw so i know that is likely to throw things off. but obviously i'm going to give the whole carb a go through and make it good as new while i got it off, anybody know what the factory or recommended settings for the carb on it?

Edited by craig7

so i just got a rm125 in exchange for a 50cc scooter, which i traded for a non running 86 rm80.

this this runs in neutral and you can revv it up, but as soon as the guy put it in gear and tried to take off it died. the guy thinks theres some problem with the needle. idk, the needle is there, it's not bent.. i noticed it's missing the idle adjustment screw so i know that is likely to throw things off. but obviously i'm going to give the whole carb a go through and make it good as new while i got it off, anybody know what the factory or recommended settings for the carb on it?

^ wtf ? thanks now i feel like im reading an SAT question

If it revs up and idles then it's probably not a carb problem, if you're stalling out in 1st gear what you've got is a clutch problem your clutch ain't grabby enough possibly the springs are weak and/or the clutch steel plates/friction plates are worn out and worst case scenario you've got a transmission problem or compression issues

well i rode it yesterday, got into the powerband in 1st i think, but it took a while to get there, it was really bogging down low and i dont think a 125 is supposed to bog that much. i think i might have helped by moving the needle a notch down, it was in the 3rd (middle) notch. it seemed like it was almost bogging out when you gave it throttle so i figured less gas through the needle might help. now when i had my carb apart i noticed the float needle didnt have a rubber tip, it was just metal, and this thing has a steady fuel drip from the bottom drain tube. i'm wondering if it's supposed to have the metal tip or whats going on, maybe it's just constantly letting fuel by, but when i take the clear drain tube and turn it up beside the carb it looks like the fuel float level is fine. it like just a tad below the bowl gasket or right at it. so idk maybe it's something stupid like the drain screw is just a little loose.. i'm going to have at it again in a few hours once the neighbors are all up