Sign in to follow this  

'13 450x gearing advice needed

I'd like to use only a single rear sprocket, 46,47,48?.., & simply swap out 13/14/15T c/s sprockets for different riding days.

My riding is 50% very tight, windy paved back roads & fireroads, currently a 14t c/s, & I'm thinking the 13t I could install for days when I'm riding trails. I'm running a 14t c/s & the 51t stock rear, but am about to order another rear sprocket & am debating 46, 47 or 48.

I don't want to be spinning high/abusive rpm's on the hwy-1 sections at 60-70mph, so would a 46t or 47t rear work well with a 14t c/s & this in mind?

Edited by Bedouin

Thanks MSfit, & I do get that Krannie, I'm hoping someone can advise that near perfect rear sprocket size that works with a 13/14/15 cs swap & the same chain. I'd like to run the 14 cs most of the time for backroads & fireroads & I bought the 450x as a DS weapon to replace my venerable DR650, if that helps explain my requirement.

Indeed the 14/51 combo has the axle too far forward for my liking, & I'm hoping the 14cs with 46 or 47 or 48..(?) will get it back toward center or past. A main consideration here is the open road/hwy sections where I need to do 65-75ish, but don't want the motor revving out too high.

I also saw MSfit's post where his 14cs /49rear gave him 65mph at 6500rpm, which has me thinking a 47t rear at this point...

Edited by Bedouin

I'm currently running a 14-48 for both and it works great except for the most difficult slow climbs... Which I now avoid if possible. :thumbsup:

Thanks amigo ^^...I'm wrestling w buying a 47 or 48t rear...some posts sound like the 14-47 puts the rear axle too far at rear of the swingarm? So I'm wondering if the 48t rear makes more sense, if it would have noticeably more snap than a 47, & if the stock 114 link chain will also handle a 15/48 combo?

Edited by Bedouin

FYI, this is what a 14t/47T sprocket with stock chain combo look like on a '13 crf450X...A Lot of overhang on the axle blocks & that chain hasn't begun stretching yet.

IMG_3097.JPG

Run a 15 / 50 - the final drive ratio is as close to a 14 / 47 as you can get