Sign in to follow this  

Lower Seat Height on a CRF150F?

My wife is 5' 3 1/2" and cannot even closely flatfoot my CRF150f.  I was wondering if there was a mechanical fix that would allow this bike to have a lower seat height.  I would not consider the bandaid fix of shaving material from the seat.  The mod would have to involve suspension and/or wheel size changes.  That way Deb could have a dirt bike to learn on after I purchase a new Yamaha XT250 in the spring for myself.

Here's a new product I saw recently which will solve your problem.

Screenshot_2015-11-02-20-07-07_zpsqzifsd

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=181817543630&alt=web

The above item is fully adjustable and well priced. There is also a devol link which is more expensive and lowers to one set height ....

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=350726732518&alt=web

Hope this helps

Edited by Landerz

If these links don't work search ebay for "crf link". Btw the adjustable link for a 230f will work for the 150f.

Edited by Landerz

Check out Rick Ramsey web site for the 230F he did some work on CRF230F using different parts from 150's and 230's  (rockers and links) and if I understand it right you can use a 230 rocker and lower the bike some, parts on eBay about $45 and then you can shave some of the seat down there is a lot of YouTube on that,  remember any lowering in the rear you have to lower the front keep the bike balanced. 

Trying to get a dirtbike low enough to flat foot is really hard. They are not designed to get you flat foot. If you get the bike to low the pegs will drag in every rut you come across. Try to get her comfortable with just one foot on the ground.

Nothing wrong with shaving the seat as it will allow her to feel more comfortable on the pegs when standing up.

Great!  It looks simple too. Now Deb can have a practice bike and off roader when I move up.  How does one go about lowering the front end a commensurate amount when using either of the two above?

You can lower the front by sliding the fork tubes up through the triple clamps the amount you end up lowering the rear.

If you lower it quite a bit there is the chance that the front wheel may hit the guard/fender when bottoming. You could compensate by putting a spacer in the top of the forks to limit the stroke and avoid this possible danger.

If you get the adjustable unit post a photo as I haven't heard any reports of how good these are. I love the fact that they have 4" of adjustment without having to remove any parts.

Well like discussed changing the linkage rocker.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446505115.827674.jpg

Will give you a drop in the rear. Putting the 150 piece on the 230 raises it about an inch, so one would think that the 230 piece would drop the 150 the same. Then raise the tubes up in the triples. You probably would need to put bar risers on it to get enough room under the handlebars to slide them up that much. Most of us like the bars a little higher anyway, helps while standing up. I can also give you a good reason not to shave the seat. It is already the hardest damn seat I have ever sat on, it needs all the cushion it can get. That being said I don't think shaving it could make it any worse either.

She could ride in stripper heels.  :excuseme:

Seriously, my two ideas were shaving the seat (which you already said no to) and a lowering link (which has been mentioned several times).  Stripper heels was the most original thing I could contribute.

Although my wife is a very beautiful green-eyed redhead I can't imagine her five foot three and a half inch frame in stripper heels.  The proportions would be incorrect but it would be amusing. :rolleyes:  She does have a lovely black dress that would work quite well with them.  And no, I won't post any images.

When I get around to the Yamaha XT250 in the spring I will do something about the CRF150F.  Deb was briefly shown how to ride on a TT-R125LE and did remarkably well.  The desire to own and ride was never a consideration with her until possibly my recent interest in bikes.  I believe that you really have to want to be a motorcycle enthusiast. If she decides to become proficient as a rider we will make the changes.  Otherwise I'll probably just sell the bike.  It wouldn't surprise me if she chose this new enterprise.  A few years ago I suggested that we participate in some sort of competitive shooting sport.  Since then Deb has won her class in two Colorado state championships and five High Plains Regionals in Cowboy Action Shooting.  It would be a big mistake to underestimate that gal.  

• Like 1

Although my wife is a very beautiful green-eyed redhead I can't imagine her five foot three and a half inch frame in stripper heels.  The proportions would be incorrect but it would be amusing. :rolleyes:  She does have a lovely black dress that would work quite well with them.  And no, I won't post any images.

When I get around to the Yamaha XT250 in the spring I will do something about the CRF150F.  Deb was briefly shown how to ride on a TT-R125LE and did remarkably well.  The desire to own and ride was never a consideration with her until possibly my recent interest in bikes.  I believe that you really have to want to be a motorcycle enthusiast. If she decides to become proficient as a rider we will make the changes.  Otherwise I'll probably just sell the bike.  It wouldn't surprise me if she chose this new enterprise.  A few years ago I suggested that we participate in some sort of competitive shooting sport.  Since then Deb has won her class in two Colorado state championships and five High Plains Regionals in Cowboy Action Shooting.  It would be a big mistake to underestimate that gal.  

Seldom Seen,

I have a few things to share.  1st, I missed what year your CRF150 was, but as someone mentioned, I know on the '03 to '05 CRF230/150, the wishbone part or "U" shaped part of the linkage will will bolt right up.  If you put the 230 part on the 150, it will lower it buy a few inches.

You also mentioned that she road a TTR125L, That bike is about 40lbs lighter than the CRF150.  You could look into trading bikes with someone.  The problem with a lot of riders is they get too much bike.  I, for example, can ride a 2 stroke 125cc much faster than a 450cc 4 stroke.  Why?  Because you're crazy if I'm going to grab a handful on a 450.  Confidence.  The TTR125L, because of it's size, is a much easier bike to ride.  The CRF150F isn't hard to ride, but at her height, maybe it is.  She might be able to touch the ground, but it really just matters if she feels comfy.  If she's comfy, she'll ride well.

And lastly, Green eyed redhead and you can't imagine her in stripper heels?  What?  We have to have a talk.  Birds and the Bees.  Seldom Seen, I'm going to do you a favor.  Send me your wife's email address and straighten this out for you.  I'm going to point out to her that her loving husband is putting in the time to make sure she's all set on the bike scene.  Hours and hours of R&D!  Then I'll tell her, "Can you believe he can't imagine this?"  She's a redhead, right?  It's in their genes.  They have to set you straight on this.  You'll be a changed man.  You can thank me later.  I'm all about changing lives!  :)

toneconsultant:  Like May West said: "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful."

The CRF150F is a brand new 2016.  It's my trainer for bigger things.  You're right about it being rather heavy for a little gal at 234 lbs (the bike not her thank God).  I will leave it as is and just enjoy it myself.  Now Deb is thinking perhaps a dual purpose would be more practical.  There isn't much available for small folks though.  Next time we're at the local dealer I'll have her sit on the XT250 and a TW200 if they have one. 

So you rather change your bikes geometry than shave the seat. Why not go all the way and just change your wife.

Yap Yap:  In all the years that I have known Deb, that thought has never occurred to me.  She is the girl of my dreams.  If we could spend the next thousand years together it wouldn't be enough. 

All:  I've decided to keep my CRF150F as it is indefinitely.  It already feels like an extension of my body.  Deb has taken a hard look at the CRF125FB (big wheel) and the Yamaha TT-R125LE.  If she decides to start riding it will be between those two.  She is now adamant about staying off of the pavement.  BTW, last week a local dealer had a 2015 XT250 for $700 under the MSRP.  It's in my breezeway sitting next to the Honda.  

Yap Yap:  In all the years that I have known Deb, that thought has never occurred to me.  She is the girl of my dreams.  If we could spend the next thousand years together it wouldn't be enough. 

All:  I've decided to keep my CRF150F as it is indefinitely.  It already feels like an extension of my body.  Deb has taken a hard look at the CRF125FB (big wheel) and the Yamaha TT-R125LE.  If she decides to start riding it will be between those two.  She is now adamant about staying off of the pavement.  BTW, last week a local dealer had a 2015 XT250 for $700 under the MSRP.  It's in my breezeway sitting next to the Honda.  

Did your dreams involve 5'2" women paddling their legs like a duck trying to reach the ground on a 150?