Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 shards in cases

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446425788.040974.jpg

Hey guys, my yz125 wouldn't go into 4th gear, so I pulled apart and split the cases. It had heard 1-3 but wouldn't go into 3rd.

What do people think the shards are from? There is a tiny ball bearing 1mm diameter and a few ones of the same size smashed up, some small chunks, and shavings.

When I split the cases, all of the internal bearings are stuffed besides the crank bearings

All internal parts look ok, except the shift shaft, it has marks on it from spinning where lots of the shards were, stopping from spinning freely, and I had to tap it out with a mallet it was that clogged from moving. I assume it's this that wouldn't let it go into 4th?

Is this a <= 06 YZ125? If so it's the shift stopper problem. The small bearing on the shift stopper arm was a roller bearing on those models and fails. 07+ it is updated to a solid roller which is 100% interchangeable. You will probably only have the inner race left on the bearing on the arm.

I too had this problem on my 06 and had to do a full rebuild including most of the gearbox, bearings and seals.

Edited by DubbyMcDubs

Thanks for your reply

Sorry, it's an 06

Yeah I'm aware of the shift stopper problem, it's still in tact but has some damage. Cases are split and I'm just cleaning/inspecting all of the parts.

Thanks for your reply

Sorry, it's an 06

Yeah I'm aware of the shift stopper problem, it's still in tact but has some damage. Cases are split and I'm just cleaning/inspecting all of the parts.

Got a pic of the shift stopper?

If its not the shift stopper, from memory, the only other bearing of that size would be the water pump bearing or the one for the governor.

Edited by DubbyMcDubs

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446516730.021222.jpg

Here's a pic of it, there's a small grove in the middle of it and a sharp gouge on the side of the roller

Just made some edits to my posts, if you read in the interim.

Bingo! That's only the inner race of the bearing.

No worries. I joined up on the forum when I saw the pics cos I knew what it was and thought I might be able to help you out. 

Good luck with the rebuild! Ask any questions you want.