Sign in to follow this  

Will My Mother Kick Me Out?

I work on tons of project bikes every year, usually in my grandmothers garage because it's heated. However its a little bit aways from my own house, and is inconvenient for me sometimes as there is no service or internet for me to search for information if I come across a problem. 

That being said, I have an Unused desk in my room right now and It would be perfect for reassembling motors. Do you guys believe that i can do this in a clean way that won't make my mother hate me? :lol:

I'm mostly worried about the smell of oil in my room while I'm trying to sleep etc. I have a varsol machine to wash everything with before hand if that would make a difference. Is there anything to counter that? Candles? Febreeze?

Edited by BoxcarWilly

If you're that worried you already know the answer.

walk into your garage, take a big whiff.. smell that? that's what your room well smell like (sans gas, buggyness etc). I have done two engine rebuilds in my living room on the coffee table during the winter when i didn't have a garage at my apartment. I doubt my gf would allow this now (thankfully i have a garage here!). your room will definitely have an odor but it wont be bad enough that you can't sleep or will it make its way to the rest of the house.

I love bikes, but this is getting a little carried away, dont ya think. I couldnt sleep like that personally (with all the vapors and oil and grease and all), and your mom will probably go flip mode

I wouldn't be working with the oil or other fluids, just clean motor parts and maybe some silicone. My motor is completely disassembled.

If you're that worried you already know the answer.

Not really worried, just curious.

Ok then. She'll complain before she kicks you out.

Sounds like she has been more than tolerant up till now.

If you're going to try it buy some plastic bins with lids. If you're not working on the parts put them in the bins, don't leave them out. Most of all respect her house and ask first . Show her your not going to make or leave a mess.

• Like 3

Go buy a whole heap of incense and start wearing tie-dye shirts. The incense will hide any smell and your mum will think you just transformed into a hippie !!

• Like 1

I would think a candle would hide a lot of the smell regardless? Even though the parts would be clean, my room still smells like old pizza and BO from the gym, so it wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. :lol:

Burning a candle around flammable chemicals might cause bigger problems than getting kicked out. If your parents are letting you live at home you need to make them happy and not give them reason to send you packing.
  • Like 1

If you're going to try it buy some plastic bins with lids. If you're not working on the parts put them in the bins, don't leave them out. Most of all respect her house and ask first . Show her your not going to make or leave a mess.

Ya, do that. All parts to be lidded down every night. Should keep stench down.

• Like 1

I would and have done it before

But my situations different, I don't live with my mom, I live with my dad who's a diesel mechanic. So tools/parts lying around the house and garage is not uncommon for us. Given how many projects we go through a year (a lot)

Reassembling an engine in your room? Get a parts washer and some solevent, get every part looking damn good. Put them in a tubbeware bucket with a lid, and assemble in your room scent and dirt free

Good call on the Tupperware with lids. My room is ventilated enough for a candle with some parts.

There will be NO chemicals/oils/solvents as I've already said.

My mother is pretty laid back and I'm not an untidy person, and she usually respects me and my bikes. I work hard, go to school full time, and am not a troublemaker. I don't want to put out those vibes. :smirk:

I'm mostly just curious to if the parts will smell even after I clean them. I don't think so personally but that's why I started this thread.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess if you parts washed everything outside it would be ok. And used containers. That wouldnt be messy or smell too much. That should work. But seems like extra work having to prep everything outside. Im lazy.

• Like 1

Good call on the Tupperware with lids. My room is ventilated enough for a candle with some parts.

There will be NO chemicals/oils/solvents as I've already said.

My mother is pretty laid back and I'm not an untidy person, and she usually respects me and my bikes. I work hard, go to school full time, and am not a troublemaker. I don't want to put out those vibes. :smirk:

I'm mostly just curious to if the parts will smell even after I clean them. I don't think so personally but that's why I started this thread.

Acetone tends not to smell after it dries, and dries rather quick

Yeah, I guess if you parts washed everything outside it would be ok. And used containers. That wouldnt be messy or smell too much. That should work. But seems like extra work having to prep everything outside. Im lazy.

The bike I'm working on came apart to me. I work a lot (30, 40 hour weeks) and go to school, so the extra time I have to spend going to my grandmothers garage, turning the furnace on, waiting for it to heat up, with no internet if I have an issue etc. Makes me a little more unproductive, especially in the -40 winter. I just feel like in my room I can work for 30 mins or whenever I have time and I will be able to accomplish things much quicker. 

Acetone tends not to smell after it dries, and dries rather quick

Good to know. 

• Like 3