Sign in to follow this  

Sign of a coil going bad?

I feel I may have put this post into the wrong forum so allow me to ask it here...perhaps I will have better luck.

Looking at my 94 Honda xr650l service manual today because my bike suddenly died....then would restart only to die several other times after running for only a few seconds.  Let us rule out the carb just for now.  I started checking all my ignition connections and components and then I ran across this.

The book says that this coil should be tested at 68 degrees (it may have been a little warmer when I tested it, like 75 degrees) and the ohm value should be between 6.5 to 9.7 when you connect the meter leads to the green secondary part of the coil and the spark plug boot (where the spark plug would snap onto the spark plug).

The ohm value I got was much lower.  I tested it 3 times and came up with values of 1.5, 1.4 and 1.3,  does this mean the coil is getting ready to die.

When I tested the primary side of the coil it measure fine, within the range according to the book.

Thanks for any help, and if you need a specification on this bike, let me know.

Make sure you have a good volt/ohm meter by checking a known resistance . However if your meter is correct that would indicate a bad coil as a higher temp if anything would give you a higher resistance

I have found the ignition coils to be reliable items, your reading is low. Double check your meter, make sure its zeroed and try again, if the readings are in fact low the coil could have a short across the windings. I assume your going from spark plug wire to the ground terminal? Is there a resistor in the cap? if so equipped, it wont cause your engine to die if it goes bad but itll throw off the readings.

before you start dumping money into components try to rule out fuel problems first, when it is dying out quickly spray some carb cleaner into the carb intake and see if it will run off of it......i have no idea of how to use a spark checker on one of these the way the spark plug is so tucked in the way they are. Id bet more on cdi then coil but try testing everything you can.....do you have another bike to swap coils, doesnt have to be the same use jumper wires if they dont match up....

• Like 1