Sign in to follow this  

Steel Sprocket on a 200

I've always run Aluminum on my bikes, but wished they wore better.  I've wanted to try a steel sprocket on my 200.  Is the extra weight of a steel sprocket even noticeable as far as speed and power?  I know they make lighter steel sprockets like Supersprox and Iron Man, but I'm wondering about cheap steel sprockets.  Just curious if anyone has had experience.

You won't ever feel the difference in a steel sprocket on your bike. The only place you will notice the extra weight is in your wallet.

• Like 2

Actually I have tried a number of different steel sprockets, and this is what I have found:

1. Primary drive, JT, and the really "cheap" brands work fine.  They obviously wear a lot better than aluminum, but don't expect them outlast an o ring chain.  Heavy.

2. Ironman sprockets are awesome.  I have one on my 250 that shows no appreciable wear after two + seasons of riding and racing.  Very pricey.  Not much heavier than aluminum.

3. Outlaw racing.  Looks like the ironman but way cheaper.  So far it appears to wear better than Primary drive, but much lighter.  I got it in a package deal with an RK chain, so I don't know if they sell them individually.

• Like 1