Sign in to follow this  

Boot cuffs hooked on pointy rad shrouds - solution?

Does anyone else with a 2002-16 YZ250 have the problem in corners with their boot cuffs getting hooked on the pointy front corner on their rad shrouds? I mean when your leg gets hung up.

I find it happens a lot. Enough that I ride weird to avoid it. Enough that it must be fixed. Bit of an injury hazard if the inside leg cannot be tucked away then returned to the peg. Big problem in off camber corner ruts.

I have normal Alpine Star Tech 10 boots. I've got a standard build for someone who is 5'10".

Choices seem to be:

1. Cut the pointy corners off. I don't yet know of a reason why this would cause a problem. Styling is not important to me if it means less fun riding.

2. Bend the points inward so they stay like that. This seems unlikely to work. Heat perhaps?

Edited by numroe

I have had this happen to me a few times in the past. Really awkward seat bouncing a jump right out of a corner and you can't return your foot back to the peg. Scary actually.

I never fixed the issue, just adjusted body position like you mentioned. Probably not the correct fix but oh well.

I think i would try option 2 first. If it doesn't work then cut them off. IMO

I believe the cycra powerflow rad shrouds turn in.  I have them on my YZ450F and they for sure turn in and I believe they make them for the 250 2T.

• Like 1

Maybe heat them up and bend in? I know factory honda runs some carbon fiber extensions on the top of their shrouds for this very reason, I assume it helps with airflow as well. Here is only picture I could find with a quick google

s1200_image.jpg

I don't have it happen on the 250. On my now gone 450 it has scared me a few times.

No great resolution. Over the boot pants help

Thanks guys. I'll try bending them inward permanently with heat. Also look into the Cyrca shrouds. Failing that I'll clip them off. I'm over it. I cannot throw it into certain corners because the chance of a inside leg hook up is almost a sure thing. The design couldn't be any more impractical than it is.

CD, this is nothing to do with the side panels. I've collapse them inward a few times, but that's a minor issue.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1