Sign in to follow this  

Ocala National Forest updates?

Has anyone ridden dirt bikes at ONF lately. I want to take my 9 year old boy there to ride, but I haven't been there in years. Back when you could ride pretty much anywhere. He's now able to ride the 65 very well, but I don't want to kill him with sand whoops or deal with idiots with guns. It seems like if the weather is decent (Oct-March), it's always some type of hunting season. So, before I make the trip, any info would be greatly appreciated.

We've been there twice in the last couple months. the biggest obstacle there of course is water. we had a lot of fun but plan on getting wet or turning around a lot. will be going out there this Friday you're welcome to join us we go in off of 441 by Deep Creek.

We ride wiregrass trail in ocala as often as possible. If you can find a spot in florida without sand and whoops please let me know.  It is a nice 17 mile loop or you can just goof off under the power lines. The power line runs for about 3 or 4 miles of the loop. I believe hunting started on nov. 1st.  We have never had a problem with hunters but they are there this time of year. Wiregrass is a designated trail for dirtbikes and 4 wheelers only. So we have the right of way with hunters. You do have to pay 10 dollars on honor system at trail head. We will be there this saturday around noon. 

I've encountered hunters on the Wiregrass in the past, but our worst encounter was on one of the connecting forest roads on the Centennial - that guy was scary. Delancy generally seems to be less hunted IMO. 

I still don't understand why the hunters seem to get ticked off when they encounter OHV riders on a designated OHV trail.

Had a conversation with a hunter at one of the trailheads here in South Carolina and he had a problem with the trail being open Mon-Sat during deer season. The amount of acrage that the OHV trails here is almost nothing compared with the rest of the forest plus South Carolina has one of the longest deer seasons in the country. The only trail system on state land is closed during the week during deer season. Guess as long as more lawyers and politicians hunt than ride dirt bikes it will always be the norm