Sign in to follow this  

Step Seat Question

Looking for some input from Gary or any of you other ergo gurus....

Where should I locate the step on a step seat?  I ride a 2011 RMZ-450.  Zooks are front turning bikes, and I get the best results when I really sit up on the tank.  I have a terrible time immediately sliding back as soon as I sit and get on the gas.  While riding today, I took the time to carefully note where I sit when cornering.  When I look at most step seats, the step is WAY too far back relative to the position I know works. 

If you look at an RMZ seat (http://moto.zombiedrive.com/images/suzuki-rmz-450-2011-8.jpg) I was planning on putting the step about 1" behind a vertical line that goes through the low point on the seat (about the middle of the top of the shock canister...minus 1").  Is there a downside to putting the step this far forward?  I do not sit down much.  Pretty much the only time I sit is in some corners.

Thanks...

I am a fan of step seats, and it is purely personal preference where you position the hump, but you definitely don't want it too far forward. You actually use the middle of the seat more than you probably realise. Smooth straights are a great time to conserve energy and take a breath, and sitting down comfortably allows you to do this. You also need to be back a bit on the seat depending on track conditions and traction. For these reasons I would strongly advise against positioning it too far forward, as it would make it very uncomfortable to use the rest of the seat. You want it far enough forward so that when you are twisting the throttle on the 450 you aren't flying off the back of the seat, but you want it back far enough so that you can still use a good range of the seat. Go and have a look at pictures of factory bikes of riders that use a hump and pay attention to where they position theirs. They are all in a very similar position. Hope this helps.

I am a fan of step seats, and it is purely personal preference where you position the hump, but you definitely don't want it too far forward. You actually use the middle of the seat more than you probably realise. Smooth straights are a great time to conserve energy and take a breath, and sitting down comfortably allows you to do this. You also need to be back a bit on the seat depending on track conditions and traction. For these reasons I would strongly advise against positioning it too far forward, as it would make it very uncomfortable to use the rest of the seat. You want it far enough forward so that when you are twisting the throttle on the 450 you aren't flying off the back of the seat, but you want it back far enough so that you can still use a good range of the seat. Go and have a look at pictures of factory bikes of riders that use a hump and pay attention to where they position theirs. They are all in a very similar position. Hope this helps.

The main reason I want to use a step is to keep me from sliding back when cornering.  If I put it where I see most riders put it, it wont help with that.  I guess I dont twist the throttle hard enough to have the problem you describe.

The main reason I want to use a step is to keep me from sliding back when cornering.  If I put it where I see most riders put it, it wont help with that.  I guess I dont twist the throttle hard enough to have the problem you describe.

Actually I think you will be surprised. I use one purely to help keep me in position when cornering, specifically exiting a turn hard on the gas, it is the biggest benefit of using seat hump. You just don't want it holding you hard up against the tank. If you can, try a bike with a step seat on it, and you will understand what I mean.

Here's a thought, If your planning on a new seat cover, duct tape a piece of foam to the outside of your current seat cover. You can modify its position until you find what you prefer. Then after the testing, install the permanent step under the cover with a new seat cover.

Try using water pipe foam insulation tubing from home Depot for your testing.