2016 yz250f GYTR power tuner best settings

I picked up a 2016 yz250f this September and have put 20 hours on it so far. the bike is awesome and over the holiday season i want to pick up the power tuner. I know yamaha has a chart for 3 different general settings for the stock exhaust but with the almost limitless options of the power tuner i want to know other peoples preferences on the settings using a stock or modded bike. 

only complaint about my new 2016 yz250f is yamaha's tire selection. after 10 hours of riding track the bridgestone rear tire was missing knobs. would be really nice if they could come with MX52 or MX51 tires 

any other general input/opinions about the bike would be much appreciated

is the super flow kit worth it? from what ive read its just a new filter cage.. im on the fence on buying the GYTR air boot over the super flo kit. 

Its technically just a cage with no backfire screen and a fire resistant filter. I noticed better throttle response and can for sure hear the bike sucking air better. Nothing huge but you can notice it. The kit removes the air restriction caused by the back fire screen. Think about it this way, will the gytr boot help? no doubt. however if there's a restriction before the boot you are actually limiting the performance gain of the boot due to the air restriction before it. The superflo kit is a cheap option to help the bike breathe better. Also its easier to change the filter and cage back than the boot if you want to ever race a limited class. let me know if you have anymore questions!

Its technically just a cage with no backfire screen and a fire resistant filter. I noticed better throttle response and can for sure hear the bike sucking air better. Nothing huge but you can notice it. The kit removes the air restriction caused by the back fire screen. Think about it this way, will the gytr boot help? no doubt. however if there's a restriction before the boot you are actually limiting the performance gain of the boot due to the air restriction before it. The superflo kit is a cheap option to help the bike breathe better. Also its easier to change the filter and cage back than the boot if you want to ever race a limited class. let me know if you have anymore questions!

in my first comment I meant I felt a huge difference in the mid hit tune! LOL don't want to seem like im contradicting myself

with the super flo kit do you ever hear any crackling or back firing? if i were to invest in a new cage it would be the twin air power flow kit 

If you want to be cheap cut all the mesh out of the backfire screen and die grind all the rough edges smooth. You will need to make sure there is not left over wire that can fall out and cause damage.

If you do this you need to make sure you buy a flame retardant filter. If your bike does backfire it could ultimately catch the stock filter on fire and that's no Bueno.

with the super flo kit do you ever hear any crackling or back firing? if i were to invest in a new cage it would be the twin air power flow kit

No popping or anything. Still runs great. Why would you spend way more money? The no toil kit does the exact same thing and I would argue is better. Could go into a long engineering explanation but I'll leave it at that.

is the super flow kit worth it? from what ive read its just a new filter cage.. im on the fence on buying the GYTR air boot over the super flo kit.

Yes it is worth it in my opinion, and the GYTR boot as well.

Personally I would open up the backside of the airbox first and see what you think.

then do the superflow kit and air boot together or in steps.

JMO..

No popping or anything. Still runs great. Why would you spend way more money? The no toil kit does the exact same thing and I would argue is better. Could go into a long engineering explanation but I'll leave it at that.

I agree, both do the same thing.

for 200$ more you do get a stronger filter cage with the twin air kit.

I agree, both do the same thing.

for 200$ more you do get a stronger filter cage with the twin air kit.

And how strong does it really have to be? It has to hold foam in place at maybe 10lbs of vacuum. I don't like the aluminum cage because it's a rigid fixture. The no toil frame flexes just as the plastic in the air box does. By introducing a rigid frame to the flexible plastick air box you create stress concentration that can lead to Crack propagation. If your air box cracks you will be pulling air around your filter rather than through it. This could maybe cause your engine to seize. That's why the oem cage is plastic. Engineering explanation done. Oh and it's still cheaper

• Like 1

And how strong does it really have to be? It has to hold foam in place at maybe 10lbs of vacuum. I don't like the aluminum cage because it's a rigid fixture. The no toil frame flexes just as the plastic in the air box does. By introducing a rigid frame to the flexible plastick air box you create stress concentration that can lead to Crack propagation. If your air box cracks you will be pulling air around your filter rather than through it. This could maybe cause your engine to seize. That's why the oem cage is plastic. Engineering explanation done. Oh and it's still cheaper

I think you misunderstood my post.

I have been using the No Toil kit, and can't justify the price difference for the overpriced Twin Air just based on the stronger frame.

Since you have chosen an argumentative tone, I'll point out the fact that the air box will never reach 10in of vacuum unless the filter is clogged.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I have been using the No Toil kit, and can't justify the price difference for the overpriced Twin Air just based on the stronger frame.

Since you have chosen an argumentative tone, I'll point out the fact that the air box will never reach 10in of vacuum unless the filter is clogged.

No I was agreeing with you and providing more information for the op. Sorry if it came off that way. And I was using a worst case senario number since he is worried about strength. Again sorry you thought I was arguing with you.

• Like 1

The bike works great, has tons of pull and response. I couldn't be bothered to alter the airbox.

If you want more snap or response all one needs to do is flash a different map.

I did remove the muffler baffle which made a noticeable difference in the top end.

heck save the 60 bucks, spend an hr cutting the screen out of the stk cage,and put that money into a couple good filters, by the way is anyone else having problems with you tuner always saying low batteries?

Edited by fgrote