Sign in to follow this  

dot 5 silicone brake fluid

can I replace all the brake fluid in my xr400 with dot 5? Rode a tight tt course for a ton of laps,and brake started to go away. Was told to replace whichever is in it,with dot 5. I realize they don't mix and have to empty all old fluid from reservoir to caliper.

You can use dot5 but to do so you would need to completely rebuild the hydraulic system. dot 5 will give a softer brake feel aswell. There would be no significant advantage going to a silicone fluid tbh.

Fresh dot 4 fluid would be the best option as its readily available. Dot 5.1 is slightly better again but is significantly more expensive.

Also have you considered the possibility that you were experiencing pad fade? Im not sure what pad type you currently have but if its a organic material pad once they get hot they lose their bite, upgrading to a semi metallic or sintered pad will fix that.

The pedal was hitting the frame when i came in off the track,caliper was red hot,or at least too hot to keep bare hand on. Guess i need to use less brake,more throttle! Wait,that's kinda how i got into this mess LOL

When racing you really need to bleed your brakes far more often. The higher temps and drastic changes in temp on the caliper introduce more moisture.

If the fluid is old it is possible that your caliper was not releasing completely and left the pads dragging just a bit. A fluid bleed (complete flush) with fresh 4.0 may solve your problem.

You can use dot5 but to do so you would need to completely rebuild the hydraulic system. dot 5 will give a softer brake feel aswell. There would be no significant advantage going to a silicone fluid tbh.

Fresh dot 4 fluid would be the best option as its readily available. Dot 5.1 is slightly better again but is significantly more expensive.

Also have you considered the possibility that you were experiencing pad fade? Im not sure what pad type you currently have but if its a organic material pad once they get hot they lose their bite, upgrading to a semi metallic or sintered pad will fix that.

I agree with all of this. Not worth the hassle of swapping to DOT5. Flush the whole system and go back with DOT4.

Be sure you're not riding the brake. Make a conscious effort to check yourself periodically.

After the bike sat a while, did brake feel come back? That's typical of brake fade when the system gets too hot.

all with keeping the 4 over 5.1....with fresh flushes if you are riding down steep terrain often..

if you're not running steel braided lines do so...with the firmness they add to the feel of the brakes it will assist early detection of brake fade..

I agree with all of this. Not worth the hassle of swapping to DOT5. Flush the whole system and go back with DOT4.

Be sure you're not riding the brake. Make a conscious effort to check yourself periodically.

After the bike sat a while, did brake feel come back? That's typical of brake fade when the system gets too hot.

Brake did come back after it cooled down.Local long time pro told me he runs dot 5 silicone in all his flattrackers.I Wonder what Kenny Coolbeth runs,have seen him running half miles with rotor glowing red lap after lap!

Seems the way some a talking that they don't understand the differences between 5 & 5.1

Good chart

No need to rebuild or flush for 5.1

• Like 1

If you paint things with silicone in your world= fisheye finishes forever.

That's why you use 5.1 instead...