Stuff for upcoming dune trip

When you put the paddle on if it even near the mud flap at all remove it. The paddles expand at speed and will rip your mudflap off in short order.

truth, i actually have a mud flap for dirt and a mud flap for sand, the sand one i just cut in half. its held up 3 seasons now so i think it works well. also when i land off a jump i can see where my paddle rubs against my silencer, especially on my 2t. i know rocky sells flag mounts that attack at the seat. i ordered one and ill let you know how it works in a few days when it arrives. This is the last flag mount, this was the outcome after riding saint anthonys 6th gear balls to the wall following cars. IMG_1580 2.JPG

Edited by knero250

truth, i actually have a mud flap for dirt and a mud flap for sand, the sand one i just cut in half. its held up 3 seasons now so i think it works well. also when i land off a jump i can see where my paddle rubs against my silencer, especially on my 2t. i know rocky sells flag mounts that attack at the seat. i ordered one and ill let you know how it works in a few days when it arrives. This is the last flag mount, this was the outcome after riding saint anthonys 6th gear balls to the wall following cars. 📎IMG_1580 2.JPG

first time I went to the dunes, there was a lot of vibrating at speed towards the beginning of the ride. About 15 minutes in, the vibrating went away.

The tire slapped the mud flap to death.

• Like 1

I ordered it directly from Hines Racing and Fabrication's website.

yea 40 dollars seems a lot but you can see what happened to the 25 dollar one i purchased in saint anthonys

It wasn't the vendors fault tho, the company he had fabricate them cheaped out and bought thinner metal than he told them too and covered it up by making the powder coat thicker. He said he's going to fix it and replaced mine for free, but still hadn't seen it bent that bad before.

Better yet, save the money and time for the whip mount and bonus safety feature = mount on a camelback/drinks on demand

+1 on the flap, make sure that sucker is on there for sure.

Paddle if the dunes are big and soft, also depending on what bike you're taking there. Sometimes a knobby is fine on even 250 2 strokes, but believe the hype when you feel that torque of the paddle tire!

Sand goggles? I've got em but didn't notice too much of a difference. You'd have to be spraying a lot of sand to neccesitate their usage.

A stand or a piece of metal/wood/etc if you have a kickstand

And of course the gopro to film all the crashes while you're getting used to the sand!

• Like 1

One more thing, while I'm thinking about it.

If you have a removable spark arrestor, you should remove it.

When I went to the dunes last time, I melted a bit of my plastic to the muffler. I had a quiet insert/spark arrestor installed.

I can't say with certainty that removing it would have helped with the melted plastic. What I'm trying to say is, your bike will run very hot at the dunes. Do anything you can to get the exhaust out as quickly as possible. And make sure your coolant is topped off.

Better yet, save the money and time for the whip mount and bonus safety feature = mount on a camelback/drinks on demand

+1 on the flap, make sure that sucker is on there for sure.

Paddle if the dunes are big and soft, also depending on what bike you're taking there. Sometimes a knobby is fine on even 250 2 strokes, but believe the hype when you feel that torque of the paddle tire!

Sand goggles? I've got em but didn't notice too much of a difference. You'd have to be spraying a lot of sand to neccesitate their usage.

A stand or a piece of metal/wood/etc if you have a kickstand

And of course the gopro to film all the crashes while you're getting used to the sand!

+1 on the sand goggles, they are a gimmick and i feel my face actually gets hotter in them and my face gets more oily. 

+1 on the sand tire, I've ridden on sand with knobby and its fun because you can slide around easier but the torque you get with a paddle compared to knobby is unreal. 

If you have a paddle just hold the front break and let the clutch out to dig a hole to let the bike sit in when your out in the dunes, and for camp i just leave a tie down on my truck and when i get in i just hook my bike up to it and let it lean off my truck. Or if your with quads or cars just lean your rear tire against theirs.

Ive seen the flag mounted to the water pack, just make sure you tape the end because fiber glass is a bitch to get out of your back.

Where are you going to ride, what sand conditions do you expect?

• Like 1

Going to glamis on the 20th. Just bought paddle tire, chain lube, air filter covers, Hines racing seat bolt flag mount, and the shock cover. Any riding tips beside don't go straight over dunes. I rode my quad in the dunes but just got my first dirtbike so if you have any tips that would be great. Thanks