Sign in to follow this  

Engine Sputters When I Crank the Throttle

Hey Guys

I'm having some trouble getting my 250sxf running right. It bogs if I give it blip the throttle but it will get into the high RPMs if I let it get there gradually.

Some background: 

Its a 2007 250SXF that has sit for about 3 years. I went through it and cleaned the carb and jets, put in fresh high octane gas and tried with and without the air filter and it still seems to be the same. In the past it usually did this after sitting for more than 4 or 5 months and I would just "clear it out" on the trail. Usually all it would take is me getting on the gas for a few minutes and the bog would go away. I always assumed this was something plugging the jets after sitting and running it in the high RPMs would suck the debris out of the jet.

I did nothing but put fresh gas in first. Then cleaned the jets and check the bowl for crud. Knowing the air filter was older I completely removed it and ran it on about a quarter mile of pavement. After going through all that it seems to be better than it was but when I try to gas it or pick the front wheel up a bit it just bogs. It will scream if I let it get there gradually. Nothing has changed and the bike has plenty of compression and under 150 hours on it. Any ideas? Do I just need to get on it a bit longer?

Thanks all!

If the carburetor is clean then next check the accelerator pump. It should shoot in a squirt of gas when you turn the throttle, if its not working right then you will get a bog when you gas it.

• Like 1