Sign in to follow this  

2001 kx250 dripping excessive oil

Hey guys, I've not long picked up an 01 kx250 and after every ride it drips heaps of oil from the transmission breather pipe. What would cause this? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446437763.151552.jpg

If it is actually trans fluid and it's coming out the breather I'd have to guess its overfull. How much are you putting in when you change it?

If it is actually trans fluid and it's coming out the breather I'd have to guess its overfull. How much are you putting in when you change it?

I put in what it says to put in on the side of the case

bad crank case seal? is the level dropping?

that was my thought just wasn't entirely sure but Yeh the level is dropping Edited by Greenpowerbandit

I put in what it says to put in on the side of the case

that was my thought just wasn't entirely sure but Yeh the level is dropping

well, that sucks :(

I guess it could maybe be possible for a bad crank seal to try and pressurize the trans and push fluid out. I can't picture how it's all setup. It's been awhile since I've had mine apart.

I kinda feel like that's unlikely but I could be wrong.

Do a leak down test on your engine. That'll tell you for sure if you have any leaks.

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-14/17-leak-tester-2-stroke-13912/

Basically just plug up intake and exhaust and pressurize it. I used some plumbing parts and tapped the intake piece for a gauge and a schrader valve. Used a small bike pump and pumped it up to around 5 psi. And made sure it didn't bleed off. If everything is good it should hold pressure.

When you say you just put in however much oil it said on the side of the case did you watch the sight glass while adding oil or did you just pour it in and call it good?

When you say you just put in however much oil it said on the side of the case did you watch the sight glass while adding oil or did you just pour it in and call it good?

Yeh just poured it in and called it good, will fill to half sight glass next time and see how it goes, thanks fellas. If still does it then I'll try the leak down test Edited by Greenpowerbandit

Yeh just poured it in and called it good, will fill to half sight glass next time and see how it goes, thanks fellas. If still does it then I'll try the leak down test

Don't guess. Measure out 850 ml of oil and pour it in. That's fail safe.

I think he did measure it out based on previous posts, and others were telling him to only fill it half way up the sight glass.

• Like 1

Yeh I was measuring 850 and putting that in, haven't had a chance to do anything with it as yet will be serviced and ridden this Friday so I'll see how it goes then
  • Like 1

Adding a specific amount can lead to overfiiling.  If you've ever taken one of these apart you know theres always more oil in there.  Even if you tip the bike from side to side while draining.  You never get it all out, and you never know how much will remain.  Sight glass makes it foolproof.

• Like 2

Adding a specific amount can lead to overfiiling. If you've ever taken one of these apart you know theres always more oil in there. Even if you tip the bike from side to side while draining. You never get it all out, and you never know how much will remain. Sight glass makes it foolproof.

I dunno bout that. It's like the yz with its check bolt in the wrong location. If you measure out 850ml then it can't be wrong unlike an individual's interpretation of the sight glass based on how the bike is or is not balanced on the stand.

Worst case with either procedure you end up very slightly overfilled and it dribbles out of the breather.  No big deal.

I know some people just pour the whole quart in so they dont have 150ml bottles of oil piling up.

Edited by turbo dan