Sign in to follow this  

Second Hare Scramble on 230! Brushy Mountain, NC

Hi all!

I raced in my second hare scramble a couple weeks ago at Brushy Mountain, NC.  I'm getting better at a few things but I've got a lot to learn.  The big difference in this race is that I'm running a Hagon Shock (sag adjusted, nothing else touched) and Bruce Triplett modded forks.  The suspension difference was amazing, I was able to ride faster (for me anyway) immediately and I only wrecked about a dozen times this race.  I didn't run the trials tire in this one, may try it next time.

The Brushy Mountain course was a blast.  There was tons of elevation change, some nasty hill climbs, a motocross track, enduro cross track and close to 8 miles of trail per lap.  Some of these trails were tight so the 230 was right at home.  Right now, it is my less than 1 year of riding experience that is holding the bike back (got my 230 in December, first bike).  I had to get to Brushy Mountain at about 7:00 AM so my niece could race at 9:00 (was chilly in the AM).  My buddies son raced around 10:30 and then I raced at the end of the day at 3:00.  It was a long day to say the least.

Let me know if this view is better than the head mount, I believe I prefer it.  Also remember, this is just part of lap 1.  I don't expect anyone wants to watch the entire 1 hour and 45 minutes straight of me riding so I didn't see a need to post everything.

Look forward to the next one and if you have any riding or video tips, let me know!

• Like 5

Fun video, but it made me a little dizzy. I think I may prefer helmet cams but thats just me make the videos you like. Only saying that because you asked lol

No problem, it certainly moves a little more, thanks for the feedback! I had a lot of fun. I think the only problem I ever had with the helmet mounts is that I was constantly wrecking and knocking them down lol. The other thing is that the helmet mount always seemed to flatten out the terrain. It always seemed to make even the nastiest hills look relatively flat.

You rode good.  That looked like an awesome course.  That hill climb at around the 17min mark looked tough.  I'm up in the air about the chest mount.  I like the view, but it does seem jerky.  I know what you mean about the helmet mount making everything appear flat though LOL.

You rode good.  That looked like an awesome course.  That hill climb at around the 17min mark looked tough.  I'm up in the air about the chest mount.  I like the view, but it does seem jerky.  I know what you mean about the helmet mount making everything appear flat though LOL.

Thanks!  I may try to wear it a little tighter next time to see if that helps.

Nice job!  I run the same suspension on my 230 (Hagon and Triplett).  You didn't look like you were lacking in HP as you more than held your own against some of those bigger bikes.  Also, you did great through the obstacles.  What muffler do you run?

Edited by rhody_romes
  • Like 1

Perfect showcase example the 230's tractor-like qualities!

• Like 1

Nice job!  I run the same suspension on my 230 (Hagon and Triplett).  You didn't look like you were lacking in HP as you more than held your own against some of those bigger bikes.  Also, you did great through the obstacles.  What muffler do you run?

Thanks!  I've been quite happy with that suspension setup, I hope you have to.

I must admit, it is quite fun to lug up hills where 250/450 four strokes and 125/250/300 two strokes are pulled to the side.  With that being said, I generally finish mid-pack behind the more experienced riders.  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing preventing me from finishing better is my own inexperience and not the bike.  I tend to wreck at least 4 times every race lol.

I run the stock cannon with the diffuser drilled.  I believe it's the same setup that Rick Ramsey has: http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fmods.htm#diffuser I'd like to shed a few pounds with an FMF or other exhaust package but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Cool! Your bike sounds like it's supercharged for some reason!

Yeah I don't know what it is or if others are the same.  I've always thought my bike had a very electric/whiny sound (not even sure that makes sense).  I assumed it was the air box sucking air but who knows.

Edited by NCJason

Yeah I don't know what it is or if others are the same.  I've always thought my bike had a very electric/whiny sound (not even sure that makes sense).  I assumed it was the air box sucking air but who knows.

I also have 230 2015 and i have the same kind of electrical noise.D'ont worry about this sound it comes from the transmission my mechanical told me.Many 230 make this sound.It's own sound of a 230 i've heard 230f 2004-2005... make this noise!

I also have 230 2015 and i have the same kind of electrical noise.D'ont worry about this sound it comes from the transmission my mechanical told me.Many 230 make this sound.It's own sound of a 230 i've heard 230f 2004-2005... make this noise!

Mine doesn't make that sound, maybe you are using a thin oil?

I enjoyed the video from its perspective, gave me a good idea of what and how you were riding. Great job. You guys sure do have some great dry dirt there.

Wish I'd had this bike back when I was able to ride faster. Works great in rocks goin' slower too.

I'm running AMSOIL and my trans is quieter.

Edited by sawatch

Straight Cut Primary Gears are the reason for the minor noise....

Just ride it and ignore it, no big deal.