Sign in to follow this  

1982 cb450 project

My friend has an old cb450 that hasn't run in 17 years, been sitting under a tarp for most of the years but the last few years it was just out in the elements. Decided we'd pull it into the garage and do some work on it and try to get it running, I'm only 17 and only have a small clue on what I'm doing :p I'm guessing the gas tank is gonna need to be replaced or get all the rust out, carbs are gonna need to be cleaned and miscellaneous other things to make it rideable. Started tearing it down last night and really looking forward to the project. Any tips? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446473788.881599.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446473804.307230.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446473818.957940.jpg

• Like 1

Those bikes were so much fun. What is scary for me is the memories that the photo of the complete bike brought back (crap I am old).

Yes, everything should get a through cleaning. You will probably need to free up some stuck pistons too.

Good luck with the project.

cheers

dangerous dave

Those bikes were so much fun. What is scary for me is the memories that the photo of the complete bike brought back (crap I am old).

Yes, everything should get a through cleaning. You will probably need to free up some stuck pistons too.

Good luck with the project.

cheers

dangerous dave

Yes I've heard some cool stories from my friends dad when he used to ride the bike everyday, gonna go work on it today so I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Took the carbs off yesterday, going to clean them today. Also took apart the front master cylinder and chain and sprocket to soak in some oil

Clean those carbs real thoroughly but be careful because if they come out of sync with eachother that's a real wrench thrower. Also, flush the tank and maybe throw a fuel filter on it to be on the safe side.

just did my my 74 cb450 its currently a riding project. 

if the front brake is bad take it apart and clean it. if its not to bad after you bleed it take it off the roader and and squeeze it a few times then spread them with the bleeder open. the crud gets trapped in there.

if you decide to clean the tank be sure it runs on reserve after a few rides my didn't i found it out the hard way