Sign in to follow this  

Kyb rear shock swap!?

I stumbled across a kyb rear shock off of a cr125r 99-00 for $20 at a garage sale the other day. It appears to be a direct swap not 100% sure though. I figured a kyb unit off a MX bike would be a upgrade to the soft factory unit with proper valving and spring rate. Maybe someone here has some insight?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446478347.046957.jpg

You might want to get your stocker re-sprung and re-valved. Then you know it fits, plus its fresh and set up specifically for you.

Edited by Bermudacat

You might want to get your stocker re-sprung and re-valved. Then you know it fits, plus its fresh and set up specifically for you.

true I just thought the kyb might be a better unit. I personally don't have any problems with the stocker just wondering if it had been done before

Brappin , no shock comes set up for you , off of someone elses bike . As it came off a CR 125 , it will be sprung and valved for a much lighter set up , even if the previous owner was jabba the hut . So you will at the very least have to change springs and I bet the valving will have to be changed also . A lot of manufacturers just use parts bins to put parts on there bikes , so a lot of machines share the same parts ( AKA RM 250 and DRZ/SM front ends ) , but like I said , it will be sprung/valved for different weights . So as long as the suspension travel is the same or not that different to cause any trouble , and the mounting is the same , you could send it off and have it rebuilt to suit , then you can use your original for a spare or even sell it on , greg

• Like 2

The stock shock on most later model E/S models is very good, in terms of quality. It just needs to be sprung and revalved. It's a 50mm Showa, like those found on older CRF450s.

• Like 1

The stock shock on most later model E/S models is very good, in terms of quality. It just needs to be sprung and revalved. It's a 50mm Showa, like those found on older CRF450s.

the stock shock works very well on my '14 sm I don't plan on changing it, if I start track days I might have to make it stiffer but for my weight 150 it seems to be just right. Just figured a $20 kyb was an awesome find, might use the kyb for my '74 CB550 mono shock conversion I plan to start this winter! Thanks for the replies guys. Edited by Brappin da blues