Sign in to follow this  

ride mapping/recording app for iphone

was thinking of using my phone to record my ride outs so i can revisit a good run that i might forget how to get to in future. A couple of mates had OS maps with specific maps already added on some old type garmin sat nav. 

Was wondering what people used on iPhone etc. 

Edited by mordzy

I have no idea what people are using on their stupid iphone, but on my Android I use Orux.

BTW, this has been discussed a bazillion times. ;)

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I use MapMyRide on the iPhone for tracking workouts and gps recording for mountain bike and road cycling routes.

• Like 1

Thanks and yes it has been discussed but most are old threads and new apps come out all the time hence the question. I tried installing Orux on my android tablet but the OS is that fragmented i lost the will to live when it just wouldn't install. I think i was running chocolate lollipop dog poo sandwich or something. So i tried ViewRanger on my iPhone and looks like the thing i was after. 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/viewranger-gps-hiking-walking/id404581674?mt=8

All the best  :goofy:

• Like 1

I use MapMyRide on the iPhone for tracking workouts and gps recording for mountain bike and road cycling routes.

Thanks for this. I did have a look but it doesn't have any detailed maps i need for green lanes. i needed something with Ordinance Survey maps really.

The key here is to be able to run independent of your cell network.  I use my Windows phone for GPS mapping, I use an app called Satellite GPS.  That phone is no longer hooked up to my cell provider so I don't worry about running the battery down.

• Like 1

The key here is to be able to run independent of your cell network.  I use my Windows phone for GPS mapping, I use an app called Satellite GPS.  That phone is no longer hooked up to my cell provider so I don't worry about running the battery down.

Thats why ViewRanger seemed to be a good choice. Lots of free maps to download and you can pay for OS maps of different regions and scales. :)