Sign in to follow this  

New 2000 cr250r owner

Thank you, i love it so far! Its been laid down more than once forsure but it seems solid. I just got yesterday and rode for about an hour and now were getting slammed with rain here in CA so debating on taking it out.

The Keihin is stock, the other stuff is added. All good quality stuff. I would remove that screw clamp on the fuel line and replace it with a small zip ty, not too tight, just firm.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

I agree with George. The screw clamp is just going to hinder servicing the bike, or diagnosing problems while on the trail. I have also seen the clamps actually cut into the hose and cause a leak. Further, when you need to remove that hose, even after removing the clamp, you will most likely damage the end of the hose as it will be stuck on their solidly.

Looks like a nice clean bike. You did well! Hopefully a bath is in its future..

The clamp moves freely as is, i had to move it to get a clear pic of the carb so its pretty much there for nothing.

Shes real dirty today, got a lil mud bath! I need a exaust plug and intake cap to clean it good or do you guys think ill be ok with out them?,

i was going to clean the filter today and its an uni so i was glad to see that! Chain lube is on the list along with some more 2 stroke oil.

Nice bike.. Those motors rip!

I would consider maybe pulling out the reeds, inspect them and while you are in there, have a good look at the intake side of the piston for any cracking by the skirt. Then you can have an excuse to change that suspect reed gasket and make sure its sealed up properly..

Ill have to get me a book, would be good investment if i plan on doing my own repairs or what not.

I know! That gasket is pretty chewd up on that edge. I wonder how that happens?

Bike runs and pulls hard, not a fan of tearing into something that is ok as is but it may be best in the long run.

Looks like a pretty nice setup! Your bike has all the common mods, just set up the suspension for you and your all done!

Ill have to get me a book, would be good investment if i plan on doing my own repairs or what not.

I know! That gasket is pretty chewd up on that edge. I wonder how that happens?

Bike runs and pulls hard, not a fan of tearing into something that is ok as is but it may be best in the long run.

pull the exhaust and have a look at the piston/ring and cylinder, doing that gives you a idea of the hours and overall condition inside.

no need to open her up if everything looks good inside.

also get yourself a good compression tester if you don't already have one, you should to a comp test every ten hours or so and record the results, great way to track when you need to do a top end before it lets go.

I was just saying if you are concerned about that gasket, and was going to change it to make sure it doesn't have an air leak there, the intake side of the piston is completely exposed. I had a 93 that ran strong years ago, and I had the carb off once and looked at the reeds. There was one petal that wasn't sealing perfect so I pulled them out to inspect, and that's when I noticed the cracked skirt that this engine is commonly known for with the OEM Pistons.

Obviously it was past its prime and was way past its service life, but it still ran great with no unusual sound. Exact same thing when I bought my 01 a few years back, and I only checked it because of my past experience. Glad I did and saved myself 2 engine failures..

Ok! Well i been busy lately, put all new tires on my girls quad so we can ride. Cleaned both our air boxes and filters. My filter was very clean as is but sill gave it a good clean and oil up.

Going to change our gear oils and clean/lube chain. Any reccomendations on Gear oil? Or will 10w40 be sufficient?

Today we ride!! Hope posting pics of a yamaha doesnt go against the guidelines here.