Sign in to follow this  

About to install my crank, any advice?

1997 Honda CR125R

OK, so I'm going to be getting my crank rebuilt and trued.  When I get it back, I need to install it.  I've seen there is a puller tool that many use to pull it into position.  Is it possible to install it safely without this tool?  I hate buying tools that get used once, and that's it.  I might try to make this tool myself.  Also, when doing the install, should I put the bearings in the case halves first (sweating them in) then install the crank, or put the bearings on the crank, then assemble it that way?  And do you guys have any other tips for things I might run into?

you should always use heat to install bearings into the case.  I would certainly buy or build the puller.  

rocky mountain atv has great yourube videos on 2 stroke rebuild procedures.

Also freeze the bearings and heat the case. Watch the video and you will see.

You'll pretty much have to do the frozen bearing and heated case method, and even then it is still a pain.  I ended up buying the tool, and it is really helpful, especially if you missed something and have to split it back apart....

I think I used a steering wheel puller from the local auto parts place. If you are really adamant about not investing money in tools, I believe they have a loaner program and you *might* find the steering wheel puller on that list of tools you can rent for the day. The loaners are free, you just have to secure them with a CC in case you don't bring them back.

I used a steering wheel puller, and also went to the hardware store and bought the correct length bolts to work with the puller, and the threads already in the case.  It is very easy with the right tool.

It needs to be said-if you don't get the right tools, DO NOT under any circumstances use a hammer to try and get the crank, or bearings, in. No matter how desperate you get, that is the wrong way, and you will get to spend more $$ and do it all over if you attempt that. You can destroy the bearings, knock the crank out of true, damage the snout on the end of the crank and then not be able to thread anything into, or onto, it. NO HAMMERS!

• Like 1

Of course I will not be banging it in with a hammer.  I was wondering if I could use pipe clamps and somehow rig something that slowly slides it into position.  I separated the case quite easily this way, no hammer needed.  I will probably end up making the tool.  Anyway, do the bearings usually slide all the way in till they stop or does the hot case cause the bearing to heat up quickly and expand?  And is it possible to put the bearing too far into the case or will it naturally bottom out at the correct depth?

I usually use the crank gear and that nut to pull in the right side, and usually you can use a flat plate layed acrossed the flywheel cover surface. Then use the flywheel nut and washers with a hole through the plate

Of course I will not be banging it in with a hammer.  I was wondering if I could use pipe clamps and somehow rig something that slowly slides it into position.  I separated the case quite easily this way, no hammer needed.  I will probably end up making the tool.  Anyway, do the bearings usually slide all the way in till they stop or does the hot case cause the bearing to heat up quickly and expand?  And is it possible to put the bearing too far into the case or will it naturally bottom out at the correct depth?

The bearings will, If cold enough, and the case warmed properly, will fall into the bore and bottom out in the base of the bore.. Time is money in life, so unless you can build the puller as a government job at work and get paid to do it, then I would just buy the tool and work an hr of overtime to pay for it.. then you know, it fits, and works.

• Like 1

The bearings will, If cold enough, and the case warmed properly, will fall into the bore and bottom out in the base of the bore.. Time is money in life, so unless you can build the puller as a government job at work and get paid to do it, then I would just buy the tool and work an hr of overtime to pay for it.. then you know, it fits, and works.

amen to that!