Sign in to follow this  

KTM trade for suzuki

I have a rm85 and a friend of my step son has a 250ktm 4 stroke with a locked up motor bike is all together and looks great so my question is what should I do my bike runs just did top end on it and not sure what it will take to get ktm going

You'll have to take the KTM apart to see what all is broken. It could cost a lot to fix, without more info I would pass on it.

Yup, I'd say expect to spend at least $500. Said it's locked up so that could be rod, crank, piston. If one of those got damaged, good chance it took something else with it.

Any idea on how it was seized up?

4 strokes have many more precision parts than 2-strokes, so rebuilds are more expensive.  Especially if something came apart, since as @desertkatoom mentioned one thing going bad can often take other parts with it.  For example, if the timing chain skips or breaks, in a worst case you could possibly be looking at damaged valves, cam, head, piston, cylinder, rod and crank.  Plus you have to replace the timing chain and sprockets.  Stay away from locked up 4-strokes if you're not comfortable either spending a lot fixing it, or fixing it yourself (and still spending a lot on parts). 

• Like 1

These are some good replys like I hoped to get so would have info and not sure why locked up he said was riding it when happened couple years ago

Here is a good example for a locked up engine. I just got a project KX250F, The kid said he was riding and then it just stopped rear tire locked up and never started again... i pulled the motor apart and found a seized crank bearing and bent rod... not a cheap fix as it scored the cylinder and piston as well. costly, even for eBay a crank kit is over $200 alone + i need a cylinder and piston rings ect... its a good thing i got it cheap lol

Fall 2015 052.JPG
Fall 2015 048.JPG
Fall 2015 040.JPG
  • Like 1

If you have the money to repair it I say take a punt and grab it. At least if you rebuilt it you know you'll have a good bike.

• Like 1

If you have the money to repair it I say take a punt and grab it. At least if you rebuilt it you know you'll have a good bike.

I Did a Hot Rods crank replacement, New Piston, valves and timing chain much of the work was done by me, Replacing the valves intake only with new springs and some machine work, was around $650 for parts & Labor, Piston & rings $225, Hod Rods Crank $275, Case splitting and Crank install with Piston, Rings , Head (Valves and Valve shimming) $450.  You are looking at $1600 to do it right , If it "Locked Up" it could damage everything I mentioned.  What my daughters bike problem was that it would not start easily and we found all the issues on a 2004 used bike. Could have done a 2 - stroke with the crank for $600.

• Like 1