Sign in to follow this  

Handlebar Height

Hey all,

Just picked up a 2013 250SX, that already has taller bars on it.  I'm 5'10" 180lbs with maybe a hair longer arm length (use to climb trees for a living--arms got stretched).  I know everyone has preferences, but what would be a good bar height for someone of my size?  While riding mx this weekend, I noticed my body starting to lean back instead of keeping my head over the bars.  Read that too high a bar can allow you to do that.  I honestly don't want to spend lots of money swapping out bars to find the right one.  Any advice on a popular bar would be great!

Thanks!

Stock bar mounts on my 2011 250sx measure 37 mm from the base of the mount to the clamping face. KTM list the option of -5 and +5 mm options in the OEM parts fiche. I like Carmichael low with the stock mounts, FWIW. I am also 5'10".

All of the bar manufacturers list bend dimensions on their various websites. Just pick a bar bend with similar sweep to your OEM bar (if that's what you like), but with the lower height.

• Like 1

Just for reference sake...what size/brand/bend are the taller bars you currently have on the bike?

To be honest (and apologize, just read your response) I'm not sure and not at home to take a look.  Here's a couple pics of the bike.

KTM Bar.JPG

KTM Bar 1.JPG

• Like 1

To be honest (and apologize, just read your response) I'm not sure and not at home to take a look.  Here's a couple pics of the bike.

Looks like they are higher than the stock bars. My bike feels like an 80s racer with too much of a valley in the seat if I run bars like this. I like stock or slightly lower than stock. Bar mounts would be cheaper than new fat bars, but you're probably only going to get a third of an inch drop from the OEM mount options, whereas those bars are like two thirds of an inch taller than stock. 

Love the dirt bike on the white carpet! I heart KTM 250SX also :ride:

• Like 2

Thanks for pics...nice clean bike! Those look to be Rental Fatbars in the RC High series #609. If so, those have a 4.7" height and are one of the tallest bars available from Renthal. One of the most popular bars are the CR High series #605 at 3.7". Just for reference the KTM stock bars are the Renthal #827 at 3.6" I'd take Swappa's advice & take a look at some bar charts to see what you think would fit you best for height, rise, sweep, etc. Keep in mind sweep can be as important as height. This is decent chart from MotoSport & has an inch conversion. Take a look at Renthals measuring chart too for reference. Always challenging finding the right bars without having a dozen on hand to try out  :cool:

http://www.motosport.com/renthal-fat-bar-oversized-118#df

http://www.renthal.com/shop/fit-my-bike

Thank you! 

I'm going to stop by our local KTM dealership today to sit on & try out the bar bends that come stock on the KTM's. 

I agree, sweep is a big deal, especially my wrist issues tend to flare up when my wrist are angle a little to the outside.  I figured the least angled sweep would be best for my wrists.

• Like 1

I'm b/t 510 - 511. I like the oem bend.  I roll my bars back/down slightly, so if you followed the line of the fork, the handlebar angle is just rearward of the fork angle.  Does that make sense? and I run the mounts in the #3 mount position...

• Like 1

I'm 5'8" and ride standup mostly. I'm using a Windham bend bars and they are about right for me, maybe a little short. Just switched to them so i'm still experimenting with positions. They are a little higher than the stock KTM/Renthal bars I pulled off, but barely. If you are 5'10" and sit more than stand they might work well for you. If you don't like alot of sweep go with the stockers and maybe a riser. Try to find someone in your area with extra bars in their shed if you can.

I'm b/t 510 - 511. I like the oem bend.  I roll my bars back/down slightly,%

I ended up buying a set of Pro Taper Evo's KTM bend from my local dealer.  They were in stock and gave me as good of price as ordering online.  I wanted to go RM Low but the KTM Bend didn't have as much sweep, figuring better for my wrists.

Edited by Jonny Quest
  • Like 2