Sign in to follow this  

'15 FE501S Running Rough

Returned form Crested Butte, CO a couple months ago.  Bike ran great, no issues changing elevation from sea level to 10,000ft.  Now that i'm back in Texas, the bike won't run. It will start up but is idling very rough and then dies.  I gave it enough throttle to keep it idling for a while, thinking the computer would adjust to the elevation, but no luck.  I took it around the block and it's rough and very low on power.  I've disconnected the battery (again, thinking it would reset computer) and drained the gas and filled with fresh gas.  Still no luck.  

Any suggestions?  Tried to post video of the rough idling but no luck there.  It will idle rough for a few seconds, pop, spit, chug, pop, then die.  Again, bike ran great in CO all the way through our last day of riding.  Haven't changed anything since getting back to TX.

Change the fuel filter???

Negative.  Will try that this evening and make sure the TPS isn't loose. 

Check battery connections, tps, and for bad gas.

Checked those today.  Good Anti-Gravity battery and connections are good.  Will check TPS again since i adjusted it when i first bought the bike, and fuel is fresh 93 octane. 

Those battery's can fail. I'd double check it! Did you wash the bike when you got home? Check fuses and spark plug wire.

Those battery's can fail. I'd double check it! Did you wash the bike when you got home? Check fuses and spark plug wire.

Double-checked battery, she's good.  I did wash the bike when i got home.  I'll move into the fuses, connections, and plug wire while the new fuel filters on shipping (filter looked clean).

Semi-plugged injector, maybe??

Acts like a fuel problem or electrical.  Hopefully not an injector.  Filter looked good.

Edited by JFoVStar650

We had a CPS go bad and when it did it acted like it ran out of gas and never started. This is something a dealer tool can check or you by using a volt meter from what I was told.

So i replaced the fuel filter ("old" one looked perfect, but replaced it just in case).  No change.  Also checked the battery.  Getting a good 13.3v at battery.  Also left it on the trickle-charge for a couple days just to eliminate the battery.  No change.  Below are the things i have checked or changed so far:

Drained gas and added fresh 93 octane

Replaced fuel filter

Check battery (13.3v) / charged just in case

Checked electrical connections for anything that may have become disconnected or loose

Checked TPS for looseness

Played with choke / idle 

Disconnected battery in hope things would (reset) 

Suggestion on where to go from here?  It still sounds to me like the timing or something electrical is off.  It will fire up but will chug, pop, poop, spit, bang, spit, chug, and then die.  The only thing that has changed since i rode it in CO is the trip back, a wash, and it fell over while washing.  It was running great before i left for CO and while in CO.  Yes the exhaust plug is removed haha.

Anyone know how to check the cam sensor?  

First use your multi meter and check to see if there is a short by using the ground and one wire. If it reads "0" there's a short. Some CPS have a "good" reading but I don't know if or what KTM is. Going by memory our CPS was like $20-25, hate to throw money around but's it cheap to replace. Dealer cost total for job including new oil filter was $300.

Anyone have schematic of the CPS or a pic or where it's located?  Unable to pull up anything right now.

I'm assuming the crank sensor has the red and green wires running to it.  Remove the two bolts and measure the voltage and ohm it out?  I;m out of ideas after that.  

If it still thinks it's at high altitude, is there a proper way to reset things??  It seems either very very lean or timing.  So I will try to check the crank sensor, but note sure how to check the injector for blockage?

IMG_0483.JPG

I believe it was Slaven who had a injector cleaner device that will not only clean (as much as carb cleaner can) but chech for operation. This isa cheap tool.

I believe it was Slaven who had a injector cleaner device that will not only clean (as much as carb cleaner can) but chech for operation. This isa cheap tool.

Thanks for the info on the tool, I'm ordering it.  After changing the air filter I found some debris in the intake, so odds are the injector has something in it.  I'm not too crazy about the way the air filter gets secured.  Doesn't seem supportive enough to make a good seal.  Going to play around with it and find a way to make it seal better. 

No way intake dirt clogged the injector. When installing the air filter watch the lower outside edge of filter. If not perfect this edge will pull away from sealing surface. This design is a PITA however better then the Beta I had. The best is my Sherco or the Italian Husqvarna, almost circular and sturdy sealing edge.

No way intake dirt clogged the injector. When installing the air filter watch the lower outside edge of filter. If not perfect this edge will pull away from sealing surface. This design is a PITA however better then the Beta I had. The best is my Sherco or the Italian Husqvarna, almost circular and sturdy sealing edge.

Ahh.  You're right about how it wouldn't clog the injector.  I wasn't thinking about it properly.  Well, back to square one i guess.  Already ordered the FI cleaner, so might as well clean the injector just to make sure.

Edited by JFoVStar650

Intake dirt can definitely cause a seizure, which comes back to a leak down test.