Georgetown pro's... need help.

We ride GT often but this past weekend I took a trail I never even knew existed and it was pretty damn gnarly (difficult).  I am dying to know where it comes out... If you are a trail number pro and you know the 6-1, 1-4 sections of the park, I'd love to chat with you.  As I look at the map now, I think the trail we took was 5-3.  It's a right hand turn just as you clear the harder sections of 6-1 or Rock Lobster (or whatever its called).  We went down it to the switchbacks and decided to go back out the way we came in as we didn't know where it came out (if it does).  The map looks like a dead end.  Anybody been there?

Hahahahahah. Try going up that. NorCal loves that hill.

Just make sure you go down that hill before you ever try going up it. Take that right after the top of 6-1.............. going east.  You're off the map.  It gets VERY steep.  There are all kinds of "Danger"  &  "Closed" signs.  There's a mine down there too.  So be careful.

Once you hit the creek you'll be done.  If you take another right at the road, you get back to the rock lobster or you can go down to the deep water crossing.

The Doctor has had a few "get together's" at that bottom house........................   ?   We don't call him The Doctor for nuthin!

I used to be almost a pro! 

Edited by superslyko
  • Like 1

Thanks, Slyko!  Wow!  It comes back into Rock Lobster?  Where?  Must be lower down towards deep water, no?  Hmmmmmm.....  Nasty stuff for sure.  I used to think the closed section of trail 1 was bad but I think this trail has it beat by a mile.

After you cross the bridge at the Deep Water Crossing, you'll climb that little hill up to the road. All on the map. If you go right, and follow it past 6-1 you'll come to a car bridge where the target shooters hang out.  Take an immediate left on the single track to the Doctors hut.  Then you'll cross that creek.  Follow the single track trail for a little ways, then you'll come to the base of that HUGE hill.  It has about a 3 foot run up.

You are correct, the map has that trail as a dead end of 5-3.

http://all-offroad.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/georgetown.pdf

The mine is back near the house.

Be very careful, it is very difficult.  The close section of 1 where the switchbacks of death are.......................... have you seen that trail lately?  Uhhhhh..................... David Knight couldn't ride that.   I saw bigfoot back there once.  :naughty:

If you're gonna do that hill.  Do it in the morning when you're fresh!  Norcal you &%$#@!!

The Doctor knows the "Bear Story". He told me!!!!!!  It was him!!!!!  I believed him!!!!!!  I'm so gullible.

Edited by superslyko

I get it now, thank you.  I am pretty sure I've been to the mine and house.  Abandoned house or shack... whatever it is.  I think we saw that place one day after riding down in the 7's.  I know there used to be some really fun tunnels thru manzanita down thee somewhere as well but they cleared all the brushy stuff a few years back... 

Old section of trail 1... uh, its closed.  No way I'd go there;)  It must have been many moons ago.  I've been up and down a few times years ago, of course.  The "root" of all evil lives there...  We rode down that 5-3 trail the other day and must have stopped and turned around where it started to head down.  Even getting out of there (back up towards 6-1) was a bear.  Brand new FMF Fatty on my Husky 300.  Thought I was gonna destroy that pipe for sure...

BigBob made it his personal responsibility to name each trail at Georgetown.  ?

There is the Goat Trail, Collarbone Alley,  Oh No.......... Not You Again, The Rock Lobster, Darling Ridge, Shirley Temple, The Mexican Whorehouse,  etc.

Problem was............................. depending upon the mood Dr. Evil was in & the amount of alcohol he had already consumed ................................. the specific trails kept changing.   :excuseme:

I can only guess the Rock Lobster referred to the black diamond section of 1&6 that is a rocky stairstep.  It's not singletrack, it's a double wide jeep trail & hill climb that just gets nastier & looser as time has gone on.  ?

There is a beautiful view on the top of that hill & a fantastic clearing up there to have lunch.

After all........................... this is his forum.

fbz_5ec2ecbe28e004c8b8d36d625cba2c99.jpg

Edited by superslyko

Thank you sir. I had another dirt biker we ran into at the new bridge (deep water?) once verbally explain it to me. It turned into one of those "turn left at the oak tree with a split trunk" kind of directions. Me and my buddy politely waited for him to leave then we turned around and went back up to trail one. He kind of freaked my buddy out but it sounds like a trail I'd like to try.   

Eight years ago it was a really sweet trail, but since then it's been trashed by people who don't contribute to the maintenance, nor give a sh*t about cutting the switchbacks.  It's sad to see that one get so thrashed over time.

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

This trail 5-3 is on the map.  It's a public OHV.................................... Wow!   :devil:   SSS it's not. 

Per the Rock Lobster.......... I've seen a number of folks crash hard many times at that loose section.  The trail's difficulty resulted in the switchbacks in the 1st place.  The rocky terrain dictates ANY TRAIL up that hill is going to get blown out over time.  It's the nature of the beast.  It has & it will.

How much $$$$$ do you think that bridge cost to build?  The Deep Water Crossing was the highlight of Georgetown in my opinion.  Do you think that effort could have been spent more effectively elsewhere?

How 'bout the clear cutting on 4?  Has that changed the landscape?

Who makes these decisions?   :prof:

I've been PMed the Bear Story is TRUE!!!!!  The Ranger can confirm it.  ?  Yeah, Yeah................................... Sure, Sure.  ?

Edited by superslyko

Eight years ago it was a really sweet trail, but since then it's been trashed by people who don't contribute to the maintenance, nor give a sh*t about cutting the switchbacks.  It's sad to see that one get so thrashed over time.

It's too bad some people don't get it. they should stay off the damn thing if it's beyond their riding skills.people who trash trails don't know what it is to cut or maintain them.

• Like 1

I don't care who you are......................... that there was funny!!!!!!  :D

You guys take this site much too seriously.   ?  

I'm riding tomorrow.  I'm riding tomorrow.  I'm riding tomorrow.  Neener neener neener.  ?

Edited by superslyko

After you cross the bridge at the Deep Water Crossing, you'll climb that little hill up to the road. All on the map. If you go right, and follow it past 6-1 you'll come to a car bridge where the target shooters hang out.  Take an immediate left on the single track to the Doctors hut.  Then you'll cross that creek.  Follow the single track trail for a little ways, then you'll come to the base of that HUGE hill.  It has about a 3 foot run up.

You are correct, the map has that trail as a dead end of 5-3.

http://all-offroad.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/georgetown.pdf

The mine is back near the house.

Be very careful, it is very difficult.  The close section of 1 where the switchbacks of death are.......................... have you seen that trail lately?  Uhhhhh..................... David Knight couldn't ride that.   I saw bigfoot back there once.  :naughty:

If you're gonna do that hill.  Do it in the morning when you're fresh!  Norcal you &%$#@!!

The Doctor knows the "Bear Story". He told me!!!!!!  It was him!!!!!  I believed him!!!!!!  I'm so gullible.

My ears were burning..... So that trail is not "easy" but it is far easier to do it when you don't have a hangover and you haven't been out all night at a county music concert the night before....or so i would imagine. Would you agree slyko?

If you're gonna do it up....................... make sure you're fresh! ?

I showed Dirty 1 of the "Best" hill climbs in California.  I didn't say anything beforehand   ?  and....................... his comment to me afterward was........................... "THAT was the best hill climb I've ever done!  Wow, fast, flowing!"  ?

:thinking:  Don't tell anyone where it is.  You can show them, but don't tell them.  It's our little secret.  :thinking:

Years ago I mentioned on TT a trail # that was fantastic at a favorite public OHV.  The next month it was destroyed.  Wonderful singletrack through the trees was turned into a whooped out mess.  Luckily I found another at the same park.  This time I didn't say shit........... and today it's still pristine.  :rant:  But the real difference is...................................... I shared it. I'll ride it with anyone.  I didn't talk a big game & then didn't produce.

I just put a Ghost Evo Elite in my Glock.  Wow!   ?  It's so smooth!!!!!!!

Edited by superslyko