Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems again!

Ok this is the second lot of starting problems I've had with my bike but I'll just stick to this one. So I took a big ride about 300 miles managed to get just about 5 miles from where I needed to be and decided to stop for a minute, came to start the bike up no joy at all, so looked over it for the week I was there couldn't find anything.

Got it back home eventually took it to mechanic he tells me it's the stator so I ordered a new one, fitted it, runs absolutey fine decided to ride it and about 1 n half miles later it just dies. So for about two months I've been going over it checking everything I could:

- Changed coil, lead and cap

- New plug

- Checked most points harness

- Timing

- Kill switch

- Cleaned the carb

So yesterday after it sitting for near 4 months me and a mate decided to have another look at it tried to start it and surprisingly it started straight up and then after about 5 minutes it dies again. So I'm here now after 2 stator changes wondering if it is the stator again and if something is making the stator die all the time or its something else maybe faulty cdi?

No sparking or poor sparking

1. Defective ignition coil.

2. Defective spark plug. 

3. Defective generator. 

4. Defective CDI unit. 
Edited by deagleus

What type of stator was fitted ? Some after market brands ( especially chinese e-bay ones ) don`t work very well and some crap out within minutes . If it was an original , then it has to be in the way it was fitted . Some of the main problems are not loctiting the allen head bolts that locate it . They can back out farley quickly and ruin a new stator . Or the wiring can be located poorly and it will rub through and short . As you have replaced everything else and it has a no/poor spark , it must be the stator . Even if you know the mechanic , I have found you cannot trust them at the best of times to do things right . But , just to be sure do what PT said and check your oil for fuel contamination . The needle and seat can leak on the carb aswell as the fuel tap O-ring and fill the crank case with fuel . It basically floods the motor with fuel vapour once it warms up and stops the engine . Also if you have a DRZ , check the vacuum hose , it could be perished and not holding a vacuum so the fuel tap wont work . Do you even have a DRZ or is it the CCM ? Basically the same motor though , greg

Sorry for late reply it's a drz andI fitted it myself and the company is electrex it's from quite reputable company. I loctited all the Allen bolts when I fitted it but what your saying about the wires could be true they were quite tight when bridging through the casing gap past the sprocket cover.