Sign in to follow this  

Vibration in left footpeg under moderate acceleration

Hello all. I have a 2014 XR650L with about 9000 miles on it. I've noticed  a pretty hard vibration or pounding in my left footpeg when I am accelerating. This weekend I happened to see the shadow of my chain while cruising dirt roads. The vibration coincides with the flopping around of my chain. I can see that the chain is flopping up and down dramaticly on the bottom! The harder the pull, the worse the flopping is. Its unnerving! I feel like the rear guide is the only thing keeping the chain from derailing. Chain tension seems to be ok. With the bike on its stand, I can gently push on the last bit of chain over the swingarm wearpad and it will touch. Both swingarm chain wear pads have some pretty deep grooves on them too. I think my front sprocket needs to be changed and have ordered one. I pulled on the chain at the rear sprocket at 3oclock position and the chain comes about 1/16" off the sprocket, good sprocket still no? The reason I ordered the front was the last time I removed front sprocket cover and chain gaurds to clean and lube chain I noticed the front sprocket could wobble on the countershaft?  I admit I think I had it too tight the first time I adjusted it with around 2000 miles on the bike. New front sprocket on the way, what else can cause this. Its a daily driver and Im a bit worried to ride it now.

Hello all. I have a 2014 XR650L with about 9000 miles on it. I've noticed  a pretty hard vibration or pounding in my left footpeg when I am accelerating. This weekend I happened to see the shadow of my chain while cruising dirt roads. The vibration coincides with the flopping around of my chain. I can see that the chain is flopping up and down dramaticly on the bottom! The harder the pull, the worse the flopping is. Its unnerving! I feel like the rear guide is the only thing keeping the chain from derailing. Chain tension seems to be ok. With the bike on its stand, I can gently push on the last bit of chain over the swingarm wearpad and it will touch. Both swingarm chain wear pads have some pretty deep grooves on them too. I think my front sprocket needs to be changed and have ordered one. I pulled on the chain at the rear sprocket at 3oclock position and the chain comes about 1/16" off the sprocket, good sprocket still no? The reason I ordered the front was the last time I removed front sprocket cover and chain gaurds to clean and lube chain I noticed the front sprocket could wobble on the countershaft?  I admit I think I had it too tight the first time I adjusted it with around 2000 miles on the bike. New front sprocket on the way, what else can cause this. Its a daily driver and Im a bit worried to ride it now.

The test your performing pulling chain at 3o'clock is a way to check chainwear, not really sprocket wear. It's kind of taboo to not change sprockets and chain at the same time. Buy a rear sprocket anyways, and visually compare them, it should be obvious if your old rear sprocket is worn or not