Sign in to follow this  

Michelin starcross 5 tires?

Anyone running them yet?

I've ran mh3's on the rear for awhile now pretty much settled they were the best tire for me. I run one tire for everything, and expect decent amount of hours from them.Mh3s have deep enough knobs for soft stuff, good on hard, good wear resistance, don't chunk easy.

I ride a variety terrain, and somehow end up chunking alot of tires. MS3's didn't hold up. Mx51 and 404's either, and they wore alot quicker for me.

But anyways i just reluctantly ordered a starcross 5 mid-terrain for the rear. Any one have impressions?

I have not personally tried these and there is another recent topic on these if you do a search but my 2 cents ........

I have used the S12-XC on the rear a few times and like them a lot BUT I too ride and wide variety of terrain and I can go through one in about 10hrs or so even after flipping it. From what understand the S12 and Starcross 5 are going to be similar compounds

For where and how I ride and for best longevity for the $$$ the Maxxis Desert IT front and rear are my go to tire

I have not personally tried these and there is another recent topic on these if you do a search but my 2 cents ........

I have used the S12-XC on the rear a few times and like them a lot BUT I too ride and wide variety of terrain and I can go through one in about 10hrs or so even after flipping it. From what understand the S12 and Starcross 5 are going to be similar compounds

For where and how I ride and for best longevity for the $$$ the Maxxis Desert IT front and rear are my go to tire

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1157962-michelin-starcross-5-tires-any-good/?hl=%2Bstarcross#entry12706303

Guess I could have bumped that one? Hoping someone would chime in about the mid terrains or coming off ms3's or mh3's.

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to switch over from your well liked MH3's to the new Starcross 5 mediums.

From what I've read you might have to run a bit more pressure as their carcass is a bit softer than the previous Starcross 3's

Another plus for Michelin now is their lighter weight.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

What's up with the size conversion? Michelin chart shows if I have a 110-90-19 to order a 130-80.

Please post a link to that chart,

it was previously the case for their cross-country line of tires (S12XC & M12XC)

that needed to be converted to the more 'common' method of measuring.

Never heard that the Starcross line (3's, Sand-4, 5's) ever needed conversion.

Edited by mlatour

Just an update for anyone who cares. Got my 5 medium tire on my bike, replacing my MH3. Looking at the tires, they are similar in tread pattern and knobby height. The knobbies were actually tighter spaced on the 5 medium then the MH3, even though the pattern was similar. The 5 did feel lighter(we already know this).

Rode a sandtrack today and it performed ok. Its hard to really tell which tire was better for these conditions, without riding back to back with the MH3. I know isn't this tires intended terrain, so we will see what happens when I hit the harder stuff.

Edited by ericz103

Thanks for the infos,

As of yet I've only seen a Starcross 5 'soft' rear tire at the local parts store.

Compared to a MS3 the new 'soft' seems to have more space between the large center knobs and second row of knobs.

Edited by mlatour

Doesn't really mean anything, but here is a pretty sick roost shot from the other day riding with this tire on. It can sling dirt. ok I mainly just wanted to show this off cause I thought it was a cool pic.

IMG_0152.JPG

• Like 1

What's up with the size conversion? Michelin chart shows if I have a 110-90-19 to order a 130-80.

Please post a link to that chart,

it was previously the case for their cross-country line of tires (S12XC & M12XC)

that needed to be converted to the more 'common' method of measuring.

Never heard that the Starcross line (3's, Sand-4, 5's) ever needed conversion.

mlatour is correct, the conversion chart is only for the older Mich tires like the S12 and M12 that date back to the 90's and older (look at a magazine from the early 90s and you'll notice the Mich S11 from then is identical to the S12 we can still buy).  The newer Starcross 3 and now Starcross 5 tires use the same sizing format as everyone else.

Eric, what was your final verdict on the mediums?  I've been thinking of these.  Lots of dry rocky terrain with gravel and rocks that turns clay and mud (mostly clay) when it rains.  

I have the 5 med rear and like it, just mounted a starcross 5 front but haven’t ridden it yet.

Ive got the 5 med on my rear tire. Coming from Continental 50\50's though and a new bike so I cant help with comparison. No issues with it yet, and less wear then I expected after 1 full season with 2 enduro races on it. No chunking and it has seen some asphalt use as well. Did find it more difficult to mount then some other tires though.

Anyone running them yet?

I've ran mh3's on the rear for awhile now pretty much settled they were the best tire for me. I run one tire for everything, and expect decent amount of hours from them.Mh3s have deep enough knobs for soft stuff, good on hard, good wear resistance, don't chunk easy.

I ride a variety terrain, and somehow end up chunking alot of tires. MS3's didn't hold up. Mx51 and 404's either, and they wore alot quicker for me.

But anyways i just reluctantly ordered a starcross 5 mid-terrain for the rear. Any one have impressions?

I ride rocky, technical trails... like almost all rock. I’ve been using Shinko 505 cheaters and love them. I recently just tried the starcross 5 on my rear tire because I got a good price on it, and personally I don’t like it. Feels hard, and chunks up. It also slips a lot more on on rocks and roots.

26 minutes ago, MXR said:

I ride rocky, technical trails... like almost all rock. I’ve been using Shinko 505 cheaters and love them. I recently just tried the starcross 5 on my rear tire because I got a good price on it, and personally I don’t like it. Feels hard, and chunks up. It also slips a lot more on on rocks and roots.

Understandable as it's out of it's intended element, it's harder rubber compound meant for less flexing in soft conditions.

Oppositely what makes that cheater 505 flex and grab the rocks would flex too much for optimal traction in soft terrain / sand.

hard terrain / soft rubber

soft terrain / hard rubber

Earlier this season I was also tempted by price when choosing a rear tire for my CRF250X (about 25-30$ less than my usual picks)

A Shinko 525 regular (non cheater) marketed as a soft-to-mid but once in hand the knob pattern obviously designed to favor softer conditions.

Wear hasn't been too bad but traction (mix of off-road) does suffer due to the harder rubber compound.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Understandable as it's out of it's intended element, it's harder rubber compound meant for less flexing in soft conditions.

Oppositely what makes that cheater 505 flex and grab the rocks would flex too much for optimal traction in soft terrain / sand.

hard terrain / soft rubber

soft terrain / hard rubber

Earlier this season I was also tempted by price when choosing a rear tire for my CRF250X (about 25-30$ less than my usual picks)

A Shinko 525 regular (non cheater) marketed as a soft-to-mid but once in hand the knob pattern obviously designed to favor softer conditions.

Wear hasn't been too bad but traction (mix of off-road) does suffer due to the harder rubber compound.

Ironically I've been just shopping for a new front and was looking at the StarCross 5 and was wondering if the HARD was actually SOFT compound?

offroad_position.jpg

I like to use gummy bears to describe SOFT compound (you can twist a knob and it feels like a gummy bear)

IMO the 505 Cheater and 525 Cheater are both same compound from what I can feel from the 505 Cheater on my bike and the new 525 Cheater I'm waiting to mount but I might be mistaken. I LOVE the 505 Cheater and only bought the 525 Cheater cus IMO more of a motocross tire and wanted to try it in the soft snotty PWN terrain over the winter to see how it hooks up and lasts,

I was also thinking of buying a Maxxis Desert IT front which (I've used a lot and really like) but IMO is a HARD terrain tire but not gummy bear soft.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Ironically I've been just shopping for a new front and was looking at the StarCross 5 and was wondering if the HARD was actually SOFT compound?
I like to use gummy bears to describe SOFT compound (you can twist a knob and it feels like a gummy bear)
IMO the 505 Cheater and 525 Cheater are both same compound from what I can feel from the 505 Cheater on my bike and the new 525 Cheater I'm waiting to mount but I might be mistaken. I LOVE the 505 Cheater and only bought the 525 Cheater cus IMO more of a motocross tire and wanted to try it in the soft snotty PWN terrain over the winter to see how it hooks up and lasts,
I was also thinking of buying a Maxxis Desert IT front which (I've used a lot and really like) but IMO is a HARD terrain tire but not gummy bear soft.

The 525 has a more motocross style knob pattern. They feel like the same compound though. You can twist them in your hands. i has the maxxis desert IT’s on my KTM when I lived in California. When I moved to Missouri and rode rocky trails here, they didn’t do very well. They were too hard and traction wasn’t great. But, they never chunked or had a flat and wore like iron.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MXR said:

The 525 has a more motocross style knob pattern. They feel like the same compound though. You can twist them in your hands. i has the maxxis desert IT’s on my KTM when I lived in California. When I moved to Missouri and rode rocky trails here, they didn’t do very well. They were too hard and traction wasn’t great. But, they never chunked or had a flat and wore like iron.

Ya I've used multiple pairs of Desert IT''s in the PWN in a wide variety of terrain and IMO super durable long lasting tires that can handle low PSI front/back with UHD tubes. IE 6ish front/2ish rear and worth the $$.

I also agree that the 525 is a motocross thread pattern and I'm having a real hard time wearing out the 505 :)

It's only been is the last few years that I've figured out how good new fronts feel and way too many tire options and not enough time or money :)

• Like 1

filterx, didn't you run a pair of Starcross 3 'hardpack' MX tires on your CRF recently?

Versus the Soft and Medium, IMO the 'Hard' should be the softest compound of them all.

I also ran a pair of Maxxis I/T's on my CRF a few years ago,

the rear I loved (longevity, traction) but the front didn't inspire me much confidence.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1