Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a used bike

Just recently got into trail riding so I pulled the trigger on an 02 300 EXC (what I could afford). Was wondering what maintenance/checks you guys do when you buy a 10+ year old bike?

I always do a fresh top end on a used bike. It gives a base line. I would methodically go thru the bearings. Either replace or grease every thing. Check all the external bolts and torque as necessary.. I pull the suspension and do a fluid change. Then torque to spec. The entire process can be done easily over a weekend. You will have peace of mind when done...

• Like 1

Congrats on the new machine  :thumbsup: As mentioned, getting familiar with your new bike will give you some good peace of mind on and off the trail. +1 on all the above advice. I just went through my new-to-me bike last month & found most of my actual issues in the bearings...wheels & linkage.

Thanks. Gonna be a fun winter project. Needs bar risers, I have long legs, I wanna go with a new set of bars while I'm at it, planning on getting fmf pipes, and some orange anodised parts. But anyway, thanks I'm gonna go ahead and order a manual.

• Like 1

And I need a new seat, I stand up most of the rides anyway but it's like sitting on cardboard covered cement.

If you get a Scotts dampener, under bar mount, you'll take care of 2 things; deflection, and it raises the bars an inch. Nice looking bike.

congrats man!!!  we have the same bike...

enjoy!!!

If you get a Scotts dampener, under bar mount, you'll take care of 2 things; deflection, and it raises the bars an inch. Nice looking bike.

what scotts model would that be,,, for that year and model???

Edited by THUMPERRRR

congrats man!!!  we have the same bike...

enjoy!!!

what scotts model would that be,,, for that year and model???

I had mine done at a local shop, so can't say. You just tell them over, or under bar. Over bar doesn't effect height of bars. I did find out an interesting fact; all the actual dampeners are the same, it's the mount that's different for each bike. I bought a second mount for my Honda, and just swap back and forth. 2 screws, 2 minutes.