Sign in to follow this  

My beloved DRZ got stolen. Now what? (Insurance Advice?)

well...sh*t.

I came out to an empaty parking space on Nov 1st. Figures that Halloween night my bike gets jacked.

I just had started doing good decals, the CVK40 was chooching, new chain, new sprockets, new tires,

E header, LED head light, TUSK barbusters, underbar mirrors, new grips, renthal bars, new battery, new throttle cable,

3x3 mod, EDGE2 Tail light, and a lot of other work I put into it. Bastards.

Fortunately I did have full coverage with $250 deductibles with State Farm. Been with them for many years, no tickets, no accidents,

no claims. I've been good money for them, my wife and I both.

It was a 2005 with about 15K on the ticker.

KBB is about $3100.

What will they do, and what do I do?

Some internet advice said, "Never take the first offer" and "you'll get what's fair if you play hardball with them."

I was hoping to sell it iin pursuit of my other favorite bike, the Triumph Bonny but that's over now. At the moment, I feel like that would

have been very realistic in my current Phx market going into Bike Season.

Any advice?

Here she is in memorial...

22702641106_809e001d19_c.jpgimage1 (1) by rogue.guineapig, on Flickr

22107529783_dd2513e2c4_c.jpgimage2 by rogue.guineapig, on Flickr

Edited by rogueguineapig

That really sucks. Hopefully your insurance doesn't screw you. We have made up receipts for loads of work and repairs/upgrades at the bike shop for guys that wrecked their bike or had it stolen. They ended up with more money in their pocket

Edited by jimneutron
  • Like 4

Well fortunately a lot of what I bought was online so there's digital transaction records, so that's a plus.

My little brother bought a BMW K75 in the last year and had it wrecked by an idiot cager, and he came out way ahead.

But a DRZ isn't a K75 exactly. Hopefully it ends well. :/

• Like 1

well...sh*t.

I came out to an empaty parking space on Nov 1st. Figures that Halloween night my bike gets jacked.

I just had started doing good decals, the CVK40 was chooching, new chain, new sprockets, new tires,

E header, LED head light, TUSK barbusters, underbar mirrors, new grips, renthal bars, new battery, new throttle cable,

Fortunately I did have full coverage with $250 deductibles with State Farm. Been with them for many years, no tickets, no accidents,

KBB is about $3100.

Some internet advice said, "Never take the first offer" and "you'll get what's fair if you play hardball with them."

I was hoping to sell it for 3500-3700 in pursuit of my other favorite bike, the Triumph Bonny. At the moment, I feel like that would

Any advice?

No wonder it got stolen, looks beautiful! Obvious question, was it somehow locked?

• Like 2

Sometimes accessories are hard, but maybe not.

In WA the law dictates that they cannot just give you book, they must find an equivalent and give you the cash to buy it, which most likely includes taxes.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I really don't think you will get much help out of State Farm. My coverage did not cover add ons or accessories. I was paying $141 every 6 months. I shopped around for other insurance and went with Progressive. Got a full year for $148 with $3000 in extras coverage. The next year they bumped up the price a bit but still way less than State Farm.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Bat Rastards...just wish you could catch them in the act...and then...well you know. I hope you fair well with your claim. Like said above battle with them and stand firm. Hold out for the most you can get. I had been covered by State Farm on all my vehicles since 1981 until I discovered how much more I was paying over other companies.

• Like 1

hey guys...thanks for the kind words!

some answers for yall...

No video footage, my complex is lame like that. I'm not sure what the "security guard" was doing but it didn't involve anything preventive!

It was not locked...it was parked right in front of my car, and tucked behind two other cars, but obviously that was for naught.

There's a brand new FZ08 (or whatever those streetfighters are) about 50 feet away, unlocked and unmolested. I'm thinking the light weight of my bike made it the target.

She was a beaut. :(

Bermuda, I sure hope it's like that out here... I've not cost State Farm a dime so I feel a tad entitled to a good settlement of sorts I guess.

I've got a good record of my upgrade transactions so here's hoping!

• Like 1

well...sh*t.

KBB is about $3100.

I was hoping to sell it for 3500-3700 in pursuit of my other favorite bike, the Triumph Bonny. At the moment, I feel like that would

Any advice?

wr450

the above is %100 true ..

insco doesnt care if youve been good for them.  You will need to find comparable bikes for sale on places like ebay and CL the insco will make you an offer and say they are sending a check, if your happy w it take it if not tell them its not enough and provide them with for sale ads that show its not enough (cherry pick the more expensive ones but within reason)

my VW got totaled 100% the other drvrs fault, their insco made and offer of $3k I said i cant replace it for less than 6k then showed them 10 ads for similar VWs for 4-6K they countered w 4500 I took it....

1. don't talk about it publicly. 

2. call them and talk to them

3. turn down a couple offers.

4 and 5. a chance it'll be found, and you can buy it back with a branded title, and have a few bucks to spend on fixing it up again. 

File police report, call insurance company and wait for them to settle claim. Then negotiate settlement if your unhappy with their offer. Have pictures and receipts of aftermarket parts you bought if they cover that sort if thing.

I might have been filing the claim from a jail cell if I had caught them in the act...woulda been ugly.

Jim State Farm has been actually as cheap as Progressive and absurdly cheaper than Geico.... that's why I've stayed with them.

I've always continuously evaluated our price per month to make sure we're not overpaying for decent coverage.

Sorry ohgood, no WR450 for me... the supermotos are my second fave bikes that I've owned--I do love them, but it might be time to move on.

I think the only DRZ out here that was "low" as a supermoto was one that had a non-OEM odometer, IE the mileage was unknown and inaccurate.

Everything else was much higher--DRZSMs hold their value well out here it seems.

Retro, what did you have into your VW? Was the 4500 good enough?

Albani, out here it would be a salvage title if I even got it back... I don't think bikes get found much here. :(

AZ Salvages bikes for dirty windshields and torn seat vinyl it seems. I will be calling them for sure (I've already been in contact).

bmwpower, I filed the insurance claim and police report within an hour of finding out it was stolen.

Most my upgrades were paid for online so fortunately I have receipts!

The consensus at the bike shop was that State Farm (out here anyway) was pretty good, so I'm cautiously hopeful.

• Like 1

Sorry man, I do believe there's a special place in hell for those fu@%sticks! If not, may they break their face while riding it as if they know how.

Can't help you with the insurance bit, but I feel your rage. Although about 30 years ago, I had my truck broken into and my stereo, subs and amps were stolen. They destroyed my dash in the process. I filed a claim and was made whole. Then a few weeks later I got a call from the police stating that they had recovered my stuff. Guilt...maybe. Knowing the perps were caught...priceless.

• Like 3

I have had my home burglarized twice and bike stolen once (got it back, actually caught the guy riding it. He spotted me and my Dad and ditched it in the desert and we found it) and it is never a good thing to go through. A friends Kawi quad was stolen in the exact same way as your bike. In the apartment parking lot right in front of his place. They just picked it up and threw it in a pick-up. 3 hour window and it was gone. Two people can fill a pick up truck full of bikes fast. Locked or not. If they want it they will get it. Alarms help but not 100% reliable. Now they have LoJack for bikes. Now that would be cool. Bam right to where they have it cops in tow. 

• Like 1

I feel for you man, I have been jacked as well and it pissed me off for months, play hardball so you get enough cash back  to ride again soon.

Hope the thief gets hurt on it, real good and has no health insurance then looses his job at Taco Bell and gets Aids.

See, I'm still pissed....

• Like 5