Sign in to follow this  

Back in the 2-Stroke Groove: 2007 YZ250

My first bike was a YZ250, way back in the late 70s. Picked up this little jewel this afternoon. Love the smell of premix!

post-381613-0-91969500-1446515044.jpg

Love my '11 KX250F, but great to get in a little swap for variety. Drove it all around my parking lot tonight, cause it was dark before I got it home.

YZ250_2007.jpg

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 4

My first bike was a YZ250, way back in the late 70s. Picked up this little jewel this afternoon. Love the smell of premix!

post-381613-0-91969500-1446515044.jpg

Love my '11 KX250F, but great to get in a little swap for variety. Drove it all around my parking lot tonight, cause it was dark before I got it home.

Once a smoker...always a smoker !   :lol:  :thumbsup:  :usa:

• Like 2

interesting. i've heard some people say they had a preference of steel frame vs aluminum. can you tell a difference?

I was joking. The modern YZ250 is completely different from what I rode in 1978. I've only ridden it around my blacktop parking lot, in the rain, at night. Will need to wait until I can get a few hours on the bike to decide how she feels.

Riding on blacktop in the rain at night is a sure sign of addiction :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I bought it just because I love YZ250s, and it was $2100.  :ride:

I will probably just ride trails and do trials type cross-training, with a few practice laps on various tracks. Doubt that I'll ever race it. Would probably race my KX instead. Really this bike is to keep my clutch skills up and just for the excitement of a smoker.

First things I'm adding are:

- hand guards

- GYTR FWW (8.4 oz)

- Pro Moto kickstand (because I'm too lazy to lean it on a tree)

- skid plate

- Graphics, cause I want my baby to have nice things

Suspension is already set up for my weight. Everything is like new. Don't have any plans to upgrade pipe or head or anything else right now.

• Like 2

OMG! Took the little YZ for a short ride this afternoon. Everything I remember. Snap the throttle and off she bolts. Wheelies are cake. Stallion-like performance with instant response.

Initially I was concerned about a vibration level higher than I remembered from my last YZ (I know, just 37 years ago). But found that the chain was cranked so freakin tight it was hard to rotate the back wheel. Had not noticed that the night I brought her home and only had a chance to adjust it late last night. Properly adjusted and the vibration is gone. All is right with the world. What a thrill.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with an 05. Forks are a little finicky if your using the bike for trails/woods.

Yeah. First thing I thought was "there's another $300 for SSS forks", but these have been "worked" for a 180 pound rider (me) and feel pretty good. We'll have to ride it a bit and see. I may not change a thing.

• Like 1

Beat me to it!  soon as i saw the top triple clamp i knew it was 05-06 lol. check 10th digit, is it a 5 or a 6?

The sss forks are nice but not essential.

Edited by adam8781