Sign in to follow this  

KTM rfs camshaft water pump seal wear

The water pump seal wore a groove in my camshaft so i machined a sleeve for it and it wore a groove in that. I pushed the seal in a few mm and its working fine. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal wear. The engine has about 350 hours on it. Im buying a new camshaft for when it starts leaking again. Should I go OEM? Should I lube the seal with anything in particular. Is the cam on this engine a consumable part?

The water pump seal wore a groove in my camshaft so i machined a sleeve for it and it wore a groove in that. I pushed the seal in a few mm and its working fine. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal wear. The engine has about 350 hours on it. Im buying a new camshaft for when it starts leaking again. Should I go OEM? Should I lube the seal with anything in particular. Is the cam on this engine a consumable part?

I believe that someone offers a hard weld and re-cut for this problem, cant remember who tho.  Could be thumper or djh if not i'm sure one of them could tell you who.

You could get it hard chromed and machined back to correct size.

:thumbsup: This is what they were doing, i was wrong on the hard weld.