Sign in to follow this  

Clutch upgrade

Has anyone tried different upgrades on their clutch ? What was your results and the best way to go. 03 150f. I was thinking about upgrading mine for the winter rebuild.

As some you already know I'm running the Magura hydraulic clutch kit and reckon it's one the best upgrades you can make. Light as a feather - consistent, smooth , predictable all day long and maintenance free. My two cents...!

If it is not worn out already, just remove the judder plates and install another inner fiber plate In place of the judder plates that were removed. Then order a set of 230f clutch springs and replace the stock150f springs.

You clutch will be bullet proof after that on a stock engine bike.

Keep your cable lubed with a cable lube tool and remember to lube your clutch lever pivot with some water proof blue grease.

Your clutch reliability and performance will be golden.

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

Speaking of clutches for the 230F... does anyone run an aftermarket clutch, or is the OEM/Stock 230F clutch the best (most reliable) way to go.? 

I run Hinson clutches in my 450R, but still have the original stock clutch in my 230F. 

Just curious if there is a good aftermarket clutch for the 230F.. 

Thanks -

Is that hard to install or just put the clutch with reservoir on ?

Very simple. Replace whole lever and cable assembly with the hydraulic kit. No adjustments necessary. Works perfectly straight up. Highly recommended!

Exactly the same as above except of course you don't need springs if you have a 230....

What you need is 4 14mm .060 thick OEM Honda automobile engine oil drain plug seals (washers) from any honda auto dealer.

Carful, aftermarket (generic) seals are only .040 thick

Place one washer under each spring and your good to go for up to 25hp.

As an added bonus why not clean your centrifugal engine oil filter since your in there anyway....

Edited by adnohguy

So I haven't gotten into rebuilding the clutch at all , but I imagine that's what it needs also my clutch cable was super old . So I will have a new one on in a day or 2. But when I order the stuff for clutch , should I just order 230f plates and springs or go with aftermarket springs ? Is there one kit that could get the job done or will probably have to order plates , and then springs seperate ?

So I haven't gotten into rebuilding the clutch at all , but I imagine that's what it needs also my clutch cable was super old . So I will have a new one on in a day or 2. But when I order the stuff for clutch , should I just order 230f plates and springs or go with aftermarket springs ? Is there one kit that could get the job done or will probably have to order plates , and then springs seperate ?

Your choice of course but there are NO aftermarket springs as strong as the 230 springs. (That I'm aware of)

I have tested dozens of them with a spring tester.

And no available aftermarket clutch springs for a 230 will support 30+ HP!

That's a whole different chapter to the story....

(And I have the cure for that problem) it took a year of trial and error and spring testing many types of springs to find the cure. Now 30+ HO is no longer an issue.

OK thanks for the tip . I would of never guessed that. But now as far as plates go , 150f plates ?