Sign in to follow this  

How can i shhh... my exc 500

I have been trying to silence my exc for some time now. I use bike for hunting the others i hunt with complain that i make to much noise. I hope there is a exsperinced rider out there with tons of knollage on this issue. I would be willing to loose power for this as long as i can remove after hunting.

Does it have the stock exhaust on it?  If yes, you can repack it.  If no, then get a stock exhaust, they are very quiet. 

Next look at the intake, a lot of noise can come from the airbox.  Many other street legal bikes came with airbox lids that have snorkels for sound reduction.  You can try to fashion something that covers the airbox with a long (several inches) tube for allowing air into the airbox.  This will significantly quiet down the intake noise.  Or you might try stuffing the airbox with something soft and flame retardant, to try to muffle the noise. 

ill try that didnt think of intake  noise being part of it. I know that this bike isn't made to be quiet but that doesn't mean that its impossible. Have you herd the 500s in neutral there not quiet lol.

Pick up a used TW200 for hunting. 70 mpg, will go anywhere, and you can sneak up on anything that moves. Outside of stock exhaust can with the oem screen still in place, the 500 isn't going to get any quieter unfortunately.

• Like 1

Your definition of quiet is interesting.  These bikes are among the quiet-est (is that a word?) bikes out there.  If you want less noise, you need to get something completely different, like a trials bike or overly muffled touring bike, both of which would suck for hunting.  

Maybe a KDX200?  I understand they have dual chamber expansion pipes and are very quiet.

Pick up a used TW200 for hunting. 70 mpg, will go anywhere, and you can sneak up on anything that moves. Outside of stock exhaust can with the oem screen still in place, the 500 isn't going to get any quieter unfortunately.

2nd the TW200....I had a couple of them and they go anywhere and are quiet. You can load them down like a pig.....IMO one of the few bullet proof bikes. I used one of mine to hunt coyotes off of with my 25-45 AR15 and I fashioned an AR scabbard for it. I had the same set of tires on it for 6 years......but you are Not going to go anywhere fast....max speed was like 60mph down hill but would crawl through rocks and woods. Crashed it like 30 times (mostly low speed) over the years and kept running. The pair I had also survived 3 teen age sons riding the hell out of them on our land really beating on them.

Edited by KAG
  • Like 1

You did not specify what year 500, the older ones you could remove the exhaust tip screen by unscrewing it - the recent version is welded in.  That last screen does make a big difference if it is missing but as others have stated the bike is still loud when the throttle is cracked including the intake noise.  Nothing  I have heard is quieter than stock, my bike has a BDS endcap and locally I run a DB Dawg insert and it is still louder than the stock end cap with screen.

As mentioned above, the stock exc exhaust is really hard to beat in the quiet department. See if you can find a stock end cap for sale used, with the screens still intact. Combine that with a repack and the exhaust will be reasonably quiet.

I wouldn't go drilling holes in things, it's going to be hard to beat the engineering on the stock exhaust, IMHO anyway.

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

Have you thought about an E-bike? I saw a guy go flying by us on one the other day and all you could hear was the chain sliding across the chain slides and the tires humming on the pavement. First thing I thought of was sneaking up on a buck. Then of course I immediately pondered crashing into it and watching it run off while I laid there in agony... lol. 

• Like 1

The bike is a 2015.  I have a pro moto billet endcap with ultra silent insert. I read somewhere that drill holes in core bigger and repack it will get quieter has anyone done this?

You have you answer right there with changing the stock end cap , go back to double screened end cap