Sign in to follow this  

16 piston in 15

well i wanted to wait to see if someone would do it first ,but it hasen't happend so our bike was ready after the races this weekend for a topend so im the ginny pig i guess, we weighed the two and the 16 is much lighter, should have it back by the weekend, builder said he would be able to tell if it was going to work as soon as he fires it up, all about the harmonics 

• Like 1

well i wanted to wait to see if someone would do it first ,but it hasen't happend so our bike was ready after the races this weekend for a topend so im the ginny pig i guess, we weighed the two and the 16 is much lighter, should have it back by the weekend, builder said he would be able to tell if it was going to work as soon as he fires it up, all about the harmonics

Interested as well.

Please list the hours and other specifics of that engine.. which crankshaft? you had mentioned before about adding the 16

crank and having some port work done.. cyl height stock?

Interested as well.

Please list the hours and other specifics of that engine.. which crankshaft? you had mentioned before about adding the 16

crank and having some port work done.. cyl height stock?

this motor has a crank works balanced crank , and porting,and fmf exhaust, if all goes well it will get cams, i'm actually looking for cams right now ,if anyone has a set pm me what you have 

this motor has a crank works balanced crank , and porting,and fmf exhaust, if all goes well it will get cams, i'm actually looking for cams right now ,if anyone has a set pm me what you have

Trust me go with the Williams cams, price with exchange is very fair.

Also I would hope your engine guy checks clearances as opposed to just throwing it together to see if it harmonically scatters...

• Like 1

Also I would hope your engine guy checks clearances as opposed to just throwing it together to see if it harmonically scatters...

just the word scatters..... scares me , I dont remember that exact weight diff, it was 10-20 grams lighter ,we weighed a 15 -16 and a je high comp,the 16 was far lighter then all of them,alot of the weight was in the pin.

the 16 pin is shorter hence lighter ,it appeared to be a fraction bigger od also, there has to be some toleance there people putting in big bores etc, but that's all heavier, this is going the other direction,i would have no fear IF the 16 crank still had the same balancers as in 15 , honestly I don't think anyone knows what excatly will happen except the engineers that made it,I think i will call CWI Today to see what they think about it,possably even wiseco since I believe they market lighter pistons for diff models ? if all seems fine it will get 3 days of a beating at next weeks races

what does he charge on an exchange? Isn't DAN C's cams new ,not regrind, there you have the option to put stk cams back in at sale of the bike,and recoup 

• Like 1

what does he charge on an exchange? Isn't DAN C's cams new ,not regrind, there you have the option to put stk cams back in at sale of the bike,and recoup

I got a special deal as part of a package and a repeat

Customer. I believe his normal exchange is 500$?

Yes it would be nice to have the stock cams to put back in to sell the bike later.

Did mine two weeks ago and already 3 h on it so far so good

cams? or piston?, I just thought of something that is scaring me, the 16 piston is now boxed in front to back, the only other change the 16 has is a reangled oil spray jet, I'm assuming A it was just a better spray overall ,or B it was reangled because of the boxed in upper rod end, does anyone know if the spray bar can be changed out without splitting the cases, Ive never payed attension to that area,im thinking maybe the crank balancers cover the bolt to change it out , my guy hasent got back to me yet

just talked to jessy at motorworxs ,he said he has did it ,and wouldnt recomend it , you WILL lose signifcant compression, and overall performance, if someone comes on here with real data diputing those facts ,I'd like to hear it , at this point I'm calling it off,and a 15 piston will go in , i see to many neg's to continue this journey at this point , on the other hand he had other options for performace im taking him up on

just talked to jessy at motorworxs ,he said he has did it ,and wouldnt recomend it , you WILL lose signifcant compression, and overall performance, if someone comes on here with real data diputing those facts ,I'd like to hear it , at this point I'm calling it off,and a 15 piston will go in , i see to many neg's to continue this journey at this point , on the other hand he had other options for performace im taking him up on

Last time I talked with him about it he said stick with

The 14-15 piston for my engine (done by him).

Very honest guy, I've never had a reason to doubt him.

also talked to my builder afterwards, he had already had coversations with cwi and a few other builders ,all agreed not a good idea, for alot of reasons, we did decide to put the 16 oil sprayer in , and go with a high comp je piston,

I like the idea of using the 16 oil sprayer, just a bit puzzled about the high comp piston.

Remember the Dyno thread Derrick Harris posted a while back?

well , It was a decision i made for the next two races, theres a new ktm kicking our but to the first corner, the piston may not boost numbers overall , but I know it will give it a kick in the pants ,in the low/mid-range, out of the gate / and corner to corner ,I really liked talking to jessy, he has another mod other then cam's ,next week im going to call back and talk to him about it alittle more in detail

well , It was a decision i made for the next two races, theres a new ktm kicking our but to the first corner, the piston may not boost numbers overall , but I know it will give it a kick in the pants ,in the low/mid-range, out of the gate / and corner to corner ,I really liked talking to jessy, he has another mod other then cam's ,next week im going to call back and talk to him about it alittle more in detail

Ahh, makes more sense now.

What gearing are you using?

Interested in whatever Jesse has up his sleeve.

I'm wondering what the results were from the JE piston. It's time for a topend on mine.