Handling Help 2015 450

I am been trying numerous setting on my 2015 RMZ450. I ride trails 90% and 20% light MX track stuff.

I don't see to be making progress and feel like I am going backwards.

With the setting below my front end feels very light,  twitchy and does not want to track. Outside of that the rear hooks up great and does well in most conditions. The front on the other hand turn super fast buy has low grip, is twitchy and does not track well.

Forks Current Settings

Inner 160

Outer 0

Balance 150

Comp 16 out from full closed

Reb 14 out from full closed

Shock

Hi Comp 2.5

Low comp 13 out from full closed

Reb 12 out from full closed

SAG 108

Any ideas on what I should change to get the front to not be so twitchy, not skate around so much and tracks better.

I weight 210 pounds.

Thanks for the help guys

What you are saying flies completely in the face of how a Suzi should handle. Every front end of every Suzi I have ridden feels super planted and confidence inspiring. The problem though now is that there are so many adjustments you can make, and it is very easy to get extremely confused, extremely quickly. Need to get back to basics and make one adjustment at a time. For starters, I would recommend running less sag. Go back to 103-104mm. Also, what front tyre are you using ?? The OEM fitment Bridgestone's, especially with a little bit of wear, are horrible.

Edited by Swapper265

Try the rebound at 12 or even 11, plus set your fork tubes at 3-5mm with the top of the clamps. (fork tube not fork cap) 

Do the steering stem up so its very tight so that the bars don't move under their own weight on a stand. If its gets notchy, back it out a bit.

Have the forks been revalved?

160/150 sounds low, the forks may be too deep in the stroke, causing a steep head angle and loosing the initial travel = Twitchy handling and harshness

I'm 195lbs kitted and run 178/168 for mx racing

14 out rebound is quite quick, try 12

I've liked my 15 RMZ450 a lot more since ditching the stock bridgestone and using a Dunlop MX32 front

At your weight, those pressures seem slightly low.

The problem is, the forks imo are valved very stiff stock.

However, I think the issue is getting the shock right to hold the bike up and make the fork work.

Are you using a stiffer shock spring, maybe reduce the sag as well to get more bias on the front.

Thanks for the help guys.

I will try the options above and see where it gets me.

If that fails I think I am going to give up and send the forks and shock off to get revalved/resprung.

My suspension and spring rate are stock.

Running Michelin Startcross tires.

Im gonna be blunt but you wont notice any improvement on anything you do unless you get those forks re valved PERIOD. Make sure you use someone who understands the Suzuki TAC for too. Its horrible from the factory.

+1 best mod on a dirt cycle is professional revalve

• Like 1

I think your pressures are too low. To be honest the fork doesnt work in stock trim anyways it needs a revalve. I hated my stuff before the revalve I tried every combo and nothing worked. You probably run those pressures because you need to to soak up chop and bumps but it probably bottoms out way too easy with those settings im sure. 

Edited by djtroy

I ended up buying Ohlins shock and Ohlins gas fork cartridges for my 2015 RMZ450.

I have enjoyed Ohlins on my last few track bikes and hoping their MX stuff is just as good.

Thanks everyone for all the info and help.

You will absolutely love them, I had issues with mine until I dove into them, found out the tuner had put 8mm preload on the fork springs. Im now running 2mm and its the best handling bike I have ever ridden. Ive never experienced that much grip before! front and rear. Im use to it now, but I was carrying so much more momentum everywhere that I was jumping to flat, first few times I turned pale and waited for the helmet to go into the bars but it just soaked it up like it was nothing. 1 click makes a huge difference and sag has to be bang on but you will love it.  

Whats your weight and springs?

• Like 1