Sign in to follow this  

RMZ450 cutting out.....

Hi all, I'm new to the RMZ ownership club, pretty new to the moto ownership actually too :) 

Took my 06 450 out in the woods/hills Sunday and found it to be a bit rough when holding a steady pace(1/2 throttle) and cutting out intermittently when coming to a stop. Now I did find that if I pull my hot start, get it running then simply let go it doesnt calm down, I have to wiggle the cable before it does, and also found that the choke/start knob springs back on its own(wont stay pulled out)

Do either of these cause the issues I'm having or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

Mark

First, you probably need to repair/replace your hot start knob if it won't stay pulled out.

Check/replace your spark plug.

Is your air/fuel or idle screw adjusted properly?

Have you ever cleaned the carb?  Maybe you need to rejet

How old is the fuel your using and what kind?

Also, is it overheating?  When mine used to overheat it wanted to cut out.  Check for overflow the next time it's doing this.  If it's overheating then you need to ride faster or... could install a boyesen, engine ice or something similar, rad cap, new oversized rads, check for clutch slippage

Edited by M.r.T.

Thanks for the reply M.R.T and sorry for being so late getting back to you :) Ref your comments I have a few questions, bear in mind I am new to MX so might be asking obvious questions(sorry) see below...

First, you probably need to repair/replace your hot start knob if it won't stay pulled out.

Mine doesn't stay pulled out, I've ordered a new cable(is this all I need?)

Ordered

How would I know? Is this a DIY or should I find a good mechanic(I'm pretty handy and willing to learn)

I havent, again, is this a DIY?

Currently using new from the pump 95.

Also, is it overheating?  When mine used to overheat it wanted to cut out.  Check for overflow the next time it's doing this.  If it's overheating then you need to ride faster or... could install aboyesenengine ice or something similar, rad cap, new oversized rads, check for clutch slippage

It didn't seem to be although I was probably riding much slower than I should have been as it was my first ride out since I was a kid with a RM125(almost 20 years ago) The bike has oversized rads on so this may be helping with that.

I did notice the hot start lever being sticky so was hoping this would be a possible fix anyway, hopefully its just that. I have also noticed that the 'choke' lever doesn't stay out either, its as tho it's on a spring and just pops back in. I'm guessing this isnt right either???

Thanks again for your help 

Cheers

Mark  :ride:

Thanks for the reply M.R.T and sorry for being so late getting back to you :) Ref your comments I have a few questions, bear in mind I am new to MX so might be asking obvious questions(sorry) see below...

Mine doesn't stay pulled out, I've ordered a new cable(is this all I need?)

Ordered

How would I know? Is this a DIY or should I find a good mechanic(I'm pretty handy and willing to learn)

I havent, again, is this a DIY?

Currently using new from the pump 95.

Also, is it overheating?  When mine used to overheat it wanted to cut out.  Check for overflow the next time it's doing this.  If it's overheating then you need to ride faster or... could install aboyesenengine ice or something similar, rad cap, new oversized rads, check for clutch slippage

It didn't seem to be although I was probably riding much slower than I should have been as it was my first ride out since I was a kid with a RM125(almost 20 years ago) The bike has oversized rads on so this may be helping with that.

I did notice the hot start lever being sticky so was hoping this would be a possible fix anyway, hopefully its just that. I have also noticed that the 'choke' lever doesn't stay out either, its as tho it's on a spring and just pops back in. I'm guessing this isnt right either???

Thanks again for your help 

Cheers

Mark  :ride:

I don't know what all comes with the cable you've ordered, but if it doesn't have the knob on it then I would imagine it's not going to resolve your problem.  Since you've already ordered it I would say just wait, slap the new cable in and see before ordering more parts.

For the air/fuel/idle and carb cleaning just download the service manual for your bike and then watch some people do it on youtube on an RMZ 4 stroke.  Plenty of good vids out there.

Manual.... http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/911501-free-pdf-05-07-rmz450-free-service-manual-download/

Carb (edit* you'll need to youtube this guy's vids for the rest) - 

I believe he tells you in the vid, but make sure you're not hosing everything down with carb cleaner.  There's some thin rubber pieces in there you'll want to remove prior.  Not sure if it would harm them or not, but you don't want to dig into your carb and then accidentally fry these rubber gaskets/floats/*whatever they are*,  and have to order new ones.

Suzuki recommends 95 at the minimum, might drain it and try some premium.

The choke and hot start knobs have little catches that should hold them out while you're starting your bike.  If they aren't staying out then they probably need replaced.  For parts like these check and see how much oem are and then search used on ebay.  When I broke my cam chain tensioner off I was able to find a used one for 10 bucks, if I recall correctly a new oem one was going to be over 50 bucks.  Just read their description thoroughly and inspect the pictures to make sure you're getting all the parts with it you're going to need.

If you're uncomfortable with tearing your carb apart with all the little jets and not an organized person then I would recommend pulling the carb and taking it to a shop.  Will save you some labor and you can make sure they get it done properly.  Take pictures when taking it apart on each step with your phone so that you can see where everything went when putting it back together.

Good luck!

Edited by M.r.T.

Right so I have a little update.....

After above I replaced the hot start and choke and took it for a ride, much better but still a bit ropey;

Took the carb apart and cleaned it(it was a bit mucky inside) and put it back together, quick run and was superb :D ;

Had it out again yesterday for a good run on the hills/woods and found it to be great when warming up and awesome on full throttle but when trying to hold a steady pace(fire roads for example) its still a bit 'poppy' and 'bangy' and basically not right. 

The question I have is how would I know if the jetting needs doing? After all, the bike is still relatively new to me and I dont know too much about the history of it. Would it be common for a MX to be set to on or off throttle? I put the carb back together like for like, if the air/fuel was wrong in the first place, I've put it back wrong, how would I know this? Last time I was out I turned the idle up a little to compensate for it cutting out when coming to a stop, is it a possibility I simply need to turn it back down again? It ticks over nicely to be fair.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I'm trying to understand things a bit better and would much rather, with a bit of guidance, figure it out and fix myself. I'm doing a enduro event on 27th so keen to get this sorted ASAP, shall I take the hit and put it in a shop?

Thanks in advance :D

Mark