Sign in to follow this  

Suspension.

So my experience is with the klr so forgive my ignorance....working on it.

How easy (or not so) to swap the front end of the S to inverted forks of an RMZ?

Or would you just use the front from the SM?

Klr required modifying the stem and modding the new triple, but not bad.

Or is the front end with springs and revolving all a guy wants?

Thinking of trading down cc' from the klr to DRZ, just trying to figure out what I am getting into.

P1030387_zpseb719848.jpg

Most likely you'll need the entire front end off the RMZ, including wheels and brakes, then you'll have to press the steering stem out of the factory lower triple and into the RMZ lower triple, if it fits. Then you'll need an aftermarket speedo if you want to retain those functions. Don't know how steering angles would compare to factory DR-Z angles. I don't know of anyone that has done this swap, but a few have bolted up RM forks with good results. Its far more economical to have factory S forks worked over by a professional, however, and the conventional forks are quite good once tuned.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

Most likely you'll need the entire front end off the RMZ, including wheels and brakes, then you'll have to press the steering stem out of the factory lower triple and into the RMZ lower triple, if it fits. Then you'll need an aftermarket speedo if you want to retain those functions. Don't know how steering angles would compare to factory DR-Z angles. I don't know of anyone that has done this swap, but a few have bolted up RM forks with good results. Its far more economical to have factory S forks worked over by a professional, however, and the conventional forks are quite good once tuned.

This....... but if the OP wants to have some fun go at it and post pictures of the swap.  

I agree with pt the stock 2002 and up S forks if sprung and valved to suit you are good solid forks. I've done a lot of Mx, hare scrambles and road racing with other bikes, and I'm impressed with the DRZ fork, with the right spring and a little tinkering with the valving.

Probably the easiest swap would be the SM forks, triples and axle. Should bolt right up, some have done it, check in the search.

Edited by bucket list

To keep the geometry the same you'd need an aftermarket cnc made triple. if you don't care about some weirdness, then rock it. 

A member here did this last fall, but sold the DRZ last week. k4f5x0r is his user name.  He plans on hanging around still. He has a lot of good posts and suggestions. Send him a private message or just look up his posts.

Edited by BlueHeart

In the end, you are better off putting the time and money into setting up the OE suspension. Even if you swapped to USD forks, you'd still still have to set them up for your weight and riding style. I have yet to do mine, but from everything I've read, they work well and there is no performance difference between the S and SM forks when done right.