Sign in to follow this  

Buy helmet from ebay?

Should I buy a helmet from ebay? It says brand new with tags, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151811224781

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351486070171

I was going to buy a fox v2, but if ebay is a viable option I can afford a v3. I'm a large in my crappy sixsixone helmet, are they the same you think? Worse case is I keep it for my brother or sell it again.

Edit: oh jeez I meant for the title to say buy instead of but...

Edited by William1
I took pity on you......... ;)

I would trust the second link you included but im not so sure about that first one. What makes me think the second one is better is that it's from a recognized dealer with a high feedback from alot of buyers.

I would trust the second link you included but im not so sure about that first one. What makes me think the second one is better is that it's from a recognized dealer with a high feedback from alot of buyers.

Also they accept returns so worst comes to worst you can still get your money back.

There are so many sellers on ebay I rarely do business with anyone that has a score under 99.  The first guy is 100,but he's new and seems to sell anything and everything.  The second one is a veteran seller but has a score of 98.7.  If it were me I would probably go with the second one, even though he is 98.7 he has only one negative review in the last 6 months and he seems to specialize in moto stuff.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

With all of ebays buyer protections the only real risk you have is their return policy if it doesnt fit, and the money that would be in limbo if you didnt use a credit card or paypal credit. I buy a lot of stuff from ebay and havent really ever had a problem, most users will work with you to preserve their feedback rating. If they dont accept returns I wouldnt deal with them, especially on an item where fit is so important.

• Like 1

Gear should always be bought from a local retailer. Fit is critical and unless you know the fit and how to properly check, you are running a risk. Most people were a too loose helmet. They do not try on ten different ones to find the right ones. They buy based on 'bold new graphics'.

• Like 2

Gear should always be bought from a local retailer. Fit is critical and unless you know the fit and how to properly check, you are running a risk. Most people were a too loose helmet. They do not try on ten different ones to find the right ones. They buy based on 'bold new graphics'.

Most people go down to the local shop, try one on until they find the right fit, then they go home and order it online. ;)

• Like 2

Until the local shop shuts down. :thumbsdn:

Yep, or lowers their prices.  The only place around here I would buy right off the shelf from is an independent shop, his prices are as low as it gets, and he will price match.  He has the lowest prices I've seen on 6D helmets.  No one I know goes to the dealerships anymore, they go see Brian at Speedin Motorsports.

My local retailers don't even stock 10 different helmets. At most, they only have around 3-4 different options on hand. I'd rather buy a helmet from an reputable online vendor like RMATV or Motosport and just return/switch out the helmet if it doesnt fit. Worst case, I have to pay the return shipping, which is still less than the 25%+ markup that local retailers charge. 

And people wonder why no dealer stocks anything.

our local dealership is a joke.  doesnt even stock front brake levers for a 2007 crf450r.  and if they did, they wanted 45$ for it.

I got one off ebay that same night for 8$ 

our local dealership is a joke.  doesnt even stock front brake levers for a 2007 crf450r.  and if they did, they wanted 45$ for it.

I got one off ebay that same night for 8$ 

No smart business stocks levers or unique parts for a nearly nine year old bike.

I doubt the lever you got on Ebay was OEM, more likely a Chinese knock off that will break instead of bend.

You do not realize but the lack of support is exactly why shops close. Eventually, they are just selling bikes and vacuum cleaners and the salesperson will be more knowledgeable about vacuums.

Until the local shop shuts down. :thumbsdn:

If the local shop shuts down it's not the consumers fault, its the shops fault for not being competitive.  

• Like 1

I only buy new Shoei helmets.  They are pricey, but I don't cut corners when my brain is involved.  Your head deserves the best!

• Like 1

If the local shop shuts down it's not the consumers fault, its the shops fault for not being competitive.  

You are right, it is not the consumers fault. But consumers have no right of complaint either. Smart shop not to stock a lever that no one will buy.

• Like 1

No smart business stocks levers or unique parts for a nearly nine year old bike.

I doubt the lever you got on Ebay was OEM, more likely a Chinese knock off that will break instead of bend.

You do not realize but the lack of support is exactly why shops close. Eventually, they are just selling bikes and vacuum cleaners and the salesperson will be more knowledgeable about vacuums.

come on William... I know youre smarter than that.

front brake levers are the most generic and commonly broken parts on the bike along with clutch levers.  anything from 03-15 is basically all the same with regards to that simple stuff. I can see if it was a 600$ very hard to sell item... but its a lever thats made for 1$, and sold to the dealership for 4$ and probably get asked for about 50 times a year. 

the brake lever I bought was tusk brand. the OEM lever that snapped with an acerbis rally pro 2 barkbuster sure didnt bend either...

I can go on all day about how sad the local dealership is.

how about them not having any generic, simple hour meters in stock? if so, they wanted 45$ again for this part. can get them off ebay for 6$.  my last 6$ ebay hour meter went to 380 hours before I blew the crank.

how about them not having any 21" tubes in stock? I suppose thats not smart to keep in stock either.

how about them not having brake pads in stock, and if they did, its 80$ for OEM pads and they fit 02-14 crfs.  I got aftermarket red EBC off ebay for 15$.

thank god for ebay. my bike and 5.9L cummins are modded to the nuts, and I paid 1/4 the price as the local guys doing the same thing. its no wonder everyone here is in debt and the bank owns everything in their driveway and shop. but hey! theyre supporting locally and paying 4x the price. good for them. it might be different in the states, but up here in canada, stuff is 2x the amount you guys pay.  im better off paying the 1.3x exchange rate, driving 30 mins south into montana for 15$ and picking up a dozen parts packages myself from a border shipping outlet. 

Edited by coryf89
  • Like 1