Sign in to follow this  

Racing?

So I have a klx250s 2012 that I did a big bore kit to bring it up to 350 with a pumper carb and a slip on exhaust. I've actually started doing some trail riding and next season I want to get into racing. What I wanted to know is is this going to shorten the "life" of the bike? I mean I'm not a crazy rider but the bike does take a thrashing on the trails. What do you guys think. Has anyone on here every raced one of these bikes?

I was planning on probably doing some enduro races (the time trials) and maybe try a hair scramble or two (not sure about the hair scramble, the idea of those kinda freak me out a bit but I might try one or two to just see what they're like to actually ride in).

The KLX should handle the enduro's easily as long as you don't have any heating problems. I got my only motorcycle trophy on my KLX300 in a hare scramble. Be sure to get your suspension set up for your weight, riding style, and terrain.

Ride on

Brewster

• Like 1

Yea, I've never had any issues with heat problems. And I've ridden in some stop and go HOT traffic. And alright. Thank you for the responses. HAve you ever ridden one of the 250s? I basically have my suspension stock and I'm about 150 pounds so I think its relatively ok from what I've seen so far. I gotta work on figuring it out for my riding style though.

Haven't ridden any of the KLX250's, new or old. 

Until you ride a bike with better suspension, you won't realize the difference correct suspension makes.  I hope some of the folks with the 250's chime in on the stock suspension.

Ride on

Brewster

• Like 1

As to your original question, the life of your bike will be determined by how well you fix or replace known problems. Racing will certainly require more attention on your part in keeping your bike in good shape. Ditto on all the comments about suspension. I would start with a  Enduro first. You will get a pretty good idea how all the bike's systems function under those conditions. 

Also a pumper carb and slip on exhaust won't make it a 350.  However I'm a fan of the "run what a brung" philosophy of racing.  Will you have the fastest lightest bike out there?  No!  Will you sitting on your sofa wishing you were riding?  Nope go for it.

I echo the suspension 100%  It's the first thing I do with any new bike.  Spend the money there before you do power.  If you have a bunch more power it does you no good if you can't get it to the ground.  

Sorry, I meant that I put a 350 big bore kit from bill blue into it in addition to a pumper carb and a slip on exhaust. What do you guys recommend I do to the suspension? I always thought it was supposed to be relatively loose so the shocks move when you hit something. What have you done to your suspension? Upgraded the fork oil to a heavier weight and put stiffer fork springs in?

Look at my threads. I have 2 klx300's. Both have kx250 fork swaps, proper spring rates and custom valving. The rear shocks have all been rebuilt/recharged. I don't have custom valving in the shocks.

I haven't raced the dualsport version of the KLX, but I did race my 2004 300R on three occasions last year when my GasGas was down waiting for parts. The first race was a short course harescramble with an EX section. The machine surprisingly did quite well and aside from a bent chain guide that derailed the chain that stuck me in the pits for fifteen minutes, I placed in the top ten in my division, much to the amazement of the promoter. Second race was an 88km cross country with some seriously nasty conditions (frozen ground, rain, roots, etc.). I was seriously surprised at how well the machine performed with a worn out M5B rear tire. I walked up hills that dudes with fancy new two and fourstrokes with new Goldentyre rubber couldn't make it up. Finished in the top ten again. The length of the race took its toll as did the extra mass of the bike, but it did okay overall.

Third race was where things didn't go well. Short course harescramble with lots of fast sections and a ton of sand whoops and a ton of rain and roots. I ended up in dead last in my division two laps down on the rest of the field. The sand definitely showed the engine's lack of power and the sand whoops beat the suspension badly along with my body.

Point of my rambling is the bike is not a race machine. It can be raced, but it will show its limitations when pushed hard. For certain courses it will work well, but as the difficulty level increases the added mass and limited suspension capabilities compared to a full blown off-road machine become very apparent. Every time you drop the bike and pick it up, it sucks the energy out of you. Every time the suspension bottoms hard, it sucks the energy out of you.

If there is a beginner's class you can enter, that would be a good place to start. However, even then you can run into trouble. Two years ago at one of the toughest races we have in Canada a dude showed up on a DRZ400S dually in the beginner class. They had the same starting point as the rest of us, which was at the bottom of a massive hill climb. He didn't even make the halfwaypoint of the climb before throwing in the towel.