Sign in to follow this  

seat upgrade preferences for longer rides

my xr650r has a custom seat with additional padding, but im wanting something wider, im checking seat concepts taller options with firmer or plush foam, and wondering which would suffice, I weigh in at 230, with 30lb backpack holding water and spare parts, anyone running with one of these, or maybe have a better suggestion?

I got the seat concepts about a month ago on my DRZ-E, and am liking it more as it breaks in. I got the standard size and foam, it felt a little stiff at first and is a little better now. Good workmanship, and it was one of the least expensive of the ones I looked into

• Like 1

im wondering if the taller plush would have enough support to keep my weight off the seat pan, and offer more comfort.

Even though my standard foam is slowly breaking in, I wish I had gone plush

I just got my seat redone by Don at Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany Oregon. It is by far the most comfortable motorcycle seat I own. Lol, not what you usually hear from a KTM 350EXC-F owner is it?

In the first pic, you can see how he cut the foam out of the seat and then built a new "custom fit" seat. The 2nd pic is the finished product. I like it a lot, it is very comfortable.

IMG_1921_zpsdyec9tru.jpg

IMG_1942_zpsnz9w1ct2.jpg

• Like 1

almost looks like exotic reptile in the pic, my 300 xcw will be next, I don't get the seat time like the xr, on it, that seat mod looks like a huge step up. I just don't want the next any firmer, wider will be way better.

• Like 1

The seatconcepts seat is a lot wider than stock, not as much as Mr. Eds' though. I find the extra width problematic when stopped in a precarious spot trying to keep my balance while slid back on the seat, not bad though

• Like 1

I have a Seat Concepts on my DRZ and it's excellent. 

My favorite seat of all time was a 650L seat I had reupholstered by Fisher Seats.

THey choose foam and size by your weight and riding conditions. Exceptional!!  (and cheaper)

I pulled the trigger and drove down to seat concepts, got the tall/plush foam, carbon graphite red side, gripper top, feels pretty cushy, I wont know how much I like it till I get past the 125 mile mark riding rough, ill be out ribbon marking the la/b to v in a couple weeks, then riding it a couple days later, that should give me a good idea.

• Like 1

I pulled the trigger and drove down to seat concepts, got the tall/plush foam, carbon graphite red side, gripper top, feels pretty cushy, I wont know how much I like it till I get past the 125 mile mark riding rough, ill be out ribbon marking the la/b to v in a couple weeks, then riding it a couple days later, that should give me a good idea.

Good for you! Good luck and have a ball

The seatconcepts seat is a lot wider than stock, not as much as Mr. Eds' though. I find the extra width problematic when stopped in a precarious spot trying to keep my balance while slid back on the seat, not bad though

I worried about that too, but he fits the seat to your body, riding style and physical position while riding. I like the seat concepts seat a lot, I started to get one and was told to go custom fit because of my back.  This one is a bit more money but I decided to pull the trigger on a custom fit. Truth is, I thought I was going to have to get rid of my bike, it hurt my tail bone (coccyx) to much to ride it. If you have ever injured your tailbone then you probably know what I am talking about. It hurts... Anyway, I am very glad that he was able to fit it and make it work for me. The stock seat was brutal! I am a woods rider at heart and now I can continue to get out there. I'm 47, and I want/need to keep riding! Thats basically what it came down to for me. 

• Like 1

I worried about that too, but he fits the seat to your body, riding style and physical position while riding. I like the seat concepts seat a lot, I started to get one and was told to go custom fit because of my back.  This one is a bit more money but I decided to pull the trigger on a custom fit. Truth is, I thought I was going to have to get rid of my bike, it hurt my tail bone (coccyx) to much to ride it. If you have ever injured your tailbone then you probably know what I am talking about. It hurts... Anyway, I am very glad that he was able to fit it and make it work for me. The stock seat was brutal! I am a woods rider at heart and now I can continue to get out there. I'm 47, and I want/need to keep riding! Thats basically what it came down to for me. 

Yeah, I'm getting up there in years myself, but since plating my DRZ-E a couple of years ago, I feel like a kid again. I don't think the riding is doing my back and knees any good, but it's great for my head. I've had my bike 6years now, why I waited 'til this fall to get a SC seat, I'll never know

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm getting up there in years myself, but since plating my DRZ-E a couple of years ago, I feel like a kid again. I don't think the riding is doing my back and knees any good, but it's great for my head. I've had my bike 6years now, why I waited 'til this fall to get a SC seat, I'll never know

DRZ-E is just a flipping good time of a bike isn't it?  I just love mine. 

• Like 1

Pics? I got my wife a DR200s. She loves it! The thing will go around the world on a half a tank of gas I think... lol

IMG_4455_zpsqxrboahj.jpg

• Like 1