Sign in to follow this  

drz spark problem

Hey guys.....

So I am having some type of spark problem.  was coming home and started dying at stops...luckily it was not problematic until the last couple miles,  had to pop clutch and keep rpm's up to get her home.  Now she wont start.  Swapped batteries to a tested good battery.....

soooo.... pulled the tank no spark.  I put a new plug in about 300 miles ago since I had the tank off for a carb repair, so plug is fresh.  After more research on this forum it points towards a stator problem....  When I unplug the 3 phase yellow wires from the stator and crank I have spark.  plug it back in to no spark.... I am new to this stuff but  I am assuming this means my stator is shot and when its unplugged im getting spark from battery and plugged in im grounding out.  if someone more knowledgeable could confirm this for me before I order that would be awesome. 

when researching ricky stator popped up several times, however TT store shows unavailable and off of the ricky site I only find an oem.  Any suggestions here?  Anyone have one sitting around?

\

thanks again guys...

Sorry guys...forgot the info

2001 drz 400

21K miles

jd jet kit, exhaust, 3x3

thanks again

have it rewound locally, do the loctite fixes while you're in there. it's not bad really

I just bought and installed a cheap e-bay one while I look to get mine rewound locally .  Just type in DRZ400 stator, on the e-bay motors site.

I have talked to 3 shops and they all say they don’t and do not know of a company that rewinds stators.  I live in a smaller town with no big cities nearby, so that’s probably why.  Im nervous to buy a cheapo ebay one because I take my bike places I cant get my truck if I have future problems, so maybe I will look into an oem one since I cant find a ricky or a place to get it rewound.

On a separate note one of the shops asked what was going on.  I told him I had no spark, and when I would unplug the 3phase stator wire I would have spark, so I was assuming the stator was dead.  He said that made no sense that I should be looking elsewhere….. any thoughts?  Should I check something else before replacing the stator?

I have talked to 3 shops and they all say they don’t and do not know of a company that rewinds stators.  I live in a smaller town with no big cities nearby, so that’s probably why.  Im nervous to buy a cheapo ebay one because I take my bike places I cant get my truck if I have future problems, so maybe I will look into an oem one since I cant find a ricky or a place to get it rewound.

On a separate note one of the shops asked what was going on.  I told him I had no spark, and when I would unplug the 3phase stator wire I would have spark, so I was assuming the stator was dead.  He said that made no sense that I should be looking elsewhere….. any thoughts?  Should I check something else before replacing the stator?

Well you can do all the stator tests in the service man. plus continuity to ground which of course none of the wires should have any. Pull the cover off and visually inspect the stator for burnt spots and melted plastic, some times they can pass all the electrical tests and still be bad.