Sign in to follow this  

16 yz250f suspension

Trying to decide if I should send suspension out for a revalve or ride it stock, next year? I've ridden 8 Moto's and a couple practice sessions and love the bike. The suspension works really well in all situations and makes me very confident. The only thing that I think could be better is its a little harsh in the braking bumps. I had to turn my comp. clickers all most all the way in to make it better, softer just made it worse. The handling and medium to big bumps/jumps is so good I'm afraid to change it. Was wondering what everyone else's thoughts/experiences were. I'm 6 foot 190 lbs and ride mx.

Wanted to make clear, that I had to turn the comp. clickers in on my forks. And that it's far from horrible just a little harsh.

I revalved mine. I'm 5'10 190lbs.

We left the strock fork springs and changed the shock spring. Bike handles awesome. Made the small bumps a ton more plush.

Edited by c0ncEpT

Concept, somehow I missed that you revalved. Thought I was going to be able to save some money. Who did you have do the revalve? It would be nice knowing that it worked out for someone else before I sent them out. Appreciate the info.

Concept, somehow I missed that you revalved. Thought I was going to be able to save some money. Who did you have do the revalve? It would be nice knowing that it worked out for someone else before I sent them out. Appreciate the info.

I had my local suspension guy revalve it. The bike worked good stock just the shock spring is way to soft for our weight and it had some initial harshness in the small braking bumps like you described.

When I 1st got the bike I set the sag at 103mm and the bike only had like 10mm free sag in it.

Edited by c0ncEpT

I have 25mm static at 105mm race, but I heard stock spring rates can vary. I am going to put a heavier spring in it as I know I need it just trying to decide on a revalve also. Hoping for some comments on just a shock spring change. Thanks for the info concept.

Forks, only on small breaking bumps though. Feels great everywhere else. Turning in the comp. clickers helped take some of the harshness out while turning out made it worse.

Soften your IC springs in the forks. IC is responsible for the initial 1/4 of the fork stroke

If you want to save money, I would try this first.  Your rear spring sounds a bit on the light side.  I would get the next stiffer shock spring rate. Then, maybe reset the forks back at stock fork comp and rebound settings and play with raising the fork up 3-4mm and try it out.  That loads the front and could "soften" the forks enough.  Cornering may improve if you are racing on tight tracks.  If this doesn't work, do what the mags say.  Reset your forks to stock specs/position and get the next higher fork spring and decrease the oil amount by 10cc when rebuilding it.  This will take out the initial harshness, but might have less bottoming resistance due to decreased oil level.  Then, add 5cc oil into each leg and go try it again.  And another 5cc per leg if necessary until you get the best balance between "small stuff" and big landings for your level of riding. .....I'm 230 lbs and race Vet class and use a 2015 YZ250F because where I race, 95% of the riders race 250Fs and complain that I ride a 450F.  Anyway, I like around 30-40 static sag, 105 rider sag. and use a 6.0 shock spring.  The fork spring on mine is .59, I think.  Fork oil is -5cc from stock of Maxima 5wt.  Old age... causes memory loss.  It rides great and I have no need of sending it in for revalve at this point.  It does blow through the stroke on some landings but I figure it should do that a some place on the track or it is just set too stiff.  Motion Pro makes a nice fork oil syringe for adding oil into the forks with an air bleed screw.

Sorry, I forgot.  Also, after you get the one stiffer rear shock spring, but before you play with the fork height, try increasing your shock high speed compression dial a 1/4 turn at a time.  This will make it feel as if the rear is raised and put a bit more load on the front which might make the forks more compliant.  I adjust the high speed compression dial more for different track conditions than the slow speed screw slotted compression adjuster once I'm happy with the slow speed compression setting.  Rebound was turned in 2 clicks in the fork and shock.  For faster slippery dusty tracks, the rebound is turned in 3 or 4 in the shock only.