Sign in to follow this  

250f?

So I'm 15, 5,11, and 120lbs, and I currently have a 2007 crf150rb and I'm looking to buy a 250f, but I'm not sure what brand to go with. Here's what (I think) I know about some 250fs... Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Honda - I really like my 150r so a crf250r sounded good untill I started reading about their terrible reputation with valves... I'll change oil, clean filters, ect, but I'm not a big fan of replacing valves every time I ride, so is this true?

Yamaha - Only thing I've heard about Yamaha is that they are underpowered

Kawasaki - I've read some horror stories about peoples kx250fs, bunch of engine issues and not the best suspension.

Suzuki - a worse version of the crf, not a big fan

Ktm - really well built but expensive af

I'm looking to buy a used one, and I'm thinking about getting a if model if one is available, so please, tell me your opinion on which brand and what year to go with!!! Thanks!

Edited by HondaLifeStyle43

So I'm 15, 5,11, and 120lbs, and I currently have a 2007 crf150rb and I'm looking to buy a 250f, but I'm not sure what brand to go with. Here's what (I think) I know about some 250fs... Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Honda - I really like my 150r so a crf250r sounded good untill I started reading about their terrible reputation with valves... I'll change oil, clean filters, ect, but I'm not a big fan of replacing valves every time I ride, so is this true?

Kawasaki - I've read some horror stories about peoples kx250fs, bunch of engine issues and not the best suspension.

I'm looking to buy a used one, and I'm thinking about getting a if model if one is available, so please, tell me your opinion on which brand and what year to go with!!! Thanks!

I have a 2010 crf 250 no problems yet (knock on wood)

(Sorry for repost)

The Hondas haven't had a problem with valves since 2007.

The Hondas haven't had a problem with valves since 2007.

What is your opinion on the 2010+ fi for the crf250r line? Edited by HondaLifeStyle43

What is your opinion on the 2010+ fi for the crf250r line?

Nice bikes, I know a couple guys with them.  Once has a problem right now with the computer on his 2015, but that is most likely an anomaly.

If I where you I will stick with the brand you know wand what you like, and apparently is Honda.

I have a KX250f and at some point I had 2 and I don't have issues at all, nothing out of ordinary, just normal wear, besides XR's which bike does not break?

Also keep in mind late 2010's and 2011 where single injection where 2012 and after are double injector.

(At least for Kawasaki 250f )

(Sorry for repost)

The crf's most certainly still had valve problems until 09 for sure! Cant speak for 10 and up tho have no personal experience. 

To me the valve problem isn't a big deal and after there fixed its a pretty solid bike, if you get one just check your valves right away to see how close you are to being shimmed out.

The intake valves are the problem. Myself if im doing it, i do it all and just be done with it, but most of the time the exhaust are ok

If its close or already out, pop the head off and do a ss conversion. Easiest way is send it to mxtime all valves,springs,seats cut cleaned ready to bolt on up 425.00 and done or fastheads is another good one and they charge 400 for the same service.

Another and cheaper choice is prox intake valve kit and having the intake seats cut. About 40 bucks to cut 2 seats and another 75-115 for the valve kit depending on where you buy them. Cheapest place ive found for the prox intake valve kit is in the link below.

The yamaha under powered? um maybe a little bit and really only to the pros but its a solid unit. You would most likely never know the diff in power.  Depends whats more important to you i guess .

Imo i wouldn't let the honda valve problem scare you away.

http://www.oemcycle.com/?segment=1

Edited by jmd426

I have seen a lot of threads and heard that the 2010 CRF250Rs have crank issues, not sure how accurate this is, but something to research. On the Honda valve problems, my 2007 CRF250R is near 60 hours, I believe the valves have been shimmed once. The reason I say "believe" is because I bought it with 35 hours and I shimmed the valves right when I got it, all the shims in it were the same size. Valves haven't moved since. I don't run it near it's full potential, yet. About to do my first top end on it actually. But, that's just my bike, others could very well have problems, especially if ANY dust or dirt is sucked in, then it's goodbye to the coating on those TI intakes.

Anyways, back on topic. I can't speak for any of the other bikes, as I have never ridden one. But IF you go with the Honda, as long as you choose carefully, and find a well maintained low hour bike you should be fine. Just be patient when buying, and that goes for any bike. Buyer's remorse doesn't feel good. Keep that air cleaner and air box spotless, make sure there aren't any leaks around the air boots and you'll be golden.

Good luck, keep us updated!

Edited by EatMaRoost