Sign in to follow this  

Tom Morgan Race Engine

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge on Tom Morgan. I just picked up a 05 CR250 that has a 02 Tom Morgan Racing stage 3 blueprinted and balanced engine. I have the complete build sheet and booklet that came with the engine from TMR and will try to post a pic.

I've done a little online research on TMR but would like to know if anyone else has any "real" knowledge on the topic. I'm trying to figure how rare this engine could possibly be and what it may be worth now. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446568870.679263.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446568902.043643.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446568924.823767.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446570059.247062.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446570074.354278.jpg

Edited by Larry247
  • Like 1

Tom Morgan is a reputable tuner & considered him doing some work on an 03 Cr250r.  Interested in hearing a ride report. 

I talked to the previous owner about the bike you posted when he was selling it over the summer.  A friend of mine was interested in it & after speaking with the owner it sounded like he put some money into it.  I believe It has CRF450 forks with a B-kit on it & some other goodies on the bike.   It sounded like a good solid bike, but my friend thought it was over priced.    

Yeah it's enough mony but good work costs money. Porting for vintage snowmobile engines are about $1800-$3500. Alot more for champ 440 sleds. Good thing you've after dirtbike mods!!

I spent close to that money just on a 265cc top end job from Tom Morgan. The bike rips and has usable power. Mine is an '03. What do you wanna know? It's not rare. Anyone can have their engine done by him. I suggest you got ride the shit out of it because that's what it's built to do. Run WFO.

Edited by MotoGuido

Thanks for all the responses. The bike was a little expensive but when you consider the the value of the bike, plus the all the parts it has I actually came out on top rather than if I were to build it. And good luck finding a 1 owner 250 these days.

I haven't rode it yet but I have had a stock 250 as well as another 05 that had a pro circuit top end. I'll let you guys know how it compares when I get to ride. I'm in the middle of tearing it down for cleaning and greasing and am gonna send out the suspension. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446648453.534964.jpg

Edited by Larry247
  • Like 1

That's for all the responses. The bike was a little expensive but when you consider the the value of the bike, plus the all the parts it has I actually came out on top rather than if I were to build it. And good luck finding a 1 owner 250 these days.

I haven't rode it yet but I have had a stock 250 as well as another 05 that had a pro circuit top end. I'll let you guys know how it compares when I get to ride. I'm in the middle of tearing it down for cleaning and greasing and am gonna send out the suspension. 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446648453.534964.jpgs.

Agree, I would have payed the asking price considering that the bike was loaded with good mods.   It's pretty much race ready if you chose to race it.  

Agree, I would have payed the asking price considering that the bike was loaded with good mods. It's pretty much race ready if you chose to race it.

I'm gonna set it up for woods racing. I'm looking to do some district 36 races.

I can't decide if I should send the suspension to factory connection or pro circuit. The shock is already revalved by pro circuit so I might save a little $ but I know factory connection has a gncc team so they may have more experience with these kind of settings. Pro circuit seems to focus on MX but I'm sure they can come up with a woods setting.

Any thoughts??

Waiting for my suspension to come back from MB1. I chose them because of their background with Honda and showa from the early 2000s. Will be able to give a review Sunday evening or Monday. Had my forks and shock revalved for a novice vet rider.

Waiting for my suspension to come back from MB1. I chose them because of their background with Honda and showa from the early 2000s. Will be able to give a review Sunday evening or Monday. Had my forks and shock revalved for a novice vet rider.

Did you go for a off-road or MX setup?

I'm gonna set it up for woods racing. I'm looking to do some district 36 races.

I can't decide if I should send the suspension to factory connection or pro circuit. The shock is already revalved by pro circuit so I might save a little $ but I know factory connection has a gncc team so they may have more experience with these kind of settings. Pro circuit seems to focus on MX but I'm sure they can come up with a woods setting.

Any thoughts??

I've dealt with both FC & PC with suspension on 03 & 07 CR250r Showas.  The PC valving specs are much firmer than FC's & will depend on what your personal preference is suspension wise.   FC's specs has more of a progressive feel with & plush feeling vs. PC.   I personally liked FC's settings over PC's for mx use.  

• Like 1

tom morgan is still building 2 strokes? I thought he and varner stopped years ago

I've dealt with both FC & PC with suspension on 03 & 07 CR250r Showas. The PC valving specs are much firmer than FC's & will depend on what your personal preference is suspension wise. FC's specs has more of a progressive feel with & plush feeling vs. PC. I personally liked FC's settings over PC's for mx use.

What I'm looking for is a woods setup not MX. If you say FC is more plush I may go with them. I've sent two suspensions to PC MX setups. I loved my 09 crf450 but the air forks on my 13 were way too harsh on square edge stuff and breaking bumps. My 250 has a FC shock linkage and knuckle so it may be best just to go that route.

What I'm looking for is a woods setup not MX. If you say FC is more plush I may go with them. I've sent two suspensions to PC MX setups. I loved my 09 crf450 but the air forks on my 13 were way too harsh on square edge stuff and breaking bumps. My 250 has a FC shock linkage and knuckle so it may be best just to go that route.

I've dealt with FC on 4 CR's / CRF's.  A 97 CR250r, , 06 CRF450r, 07 CR250r Showa B-kit & a current 10 CRF450r.  The valving specs on all 4 bikes have had a similar suspension feel with a plush progressive feel to them that is confidence inspiring to ride faster.   I would recommend getting in contact with them & discussing what type of suspension set up your looking for.  Excellent work with great customer service has been my experience with them.   

Edited by H4L

I've dealt with FC on 4 CR's / CRF's. A 97 CR250r, , 06 CRF450r, 07 CR250r Showa B-kit & a current 10 CRF450r. The valving specs on all 4 bikes have had a similar suspension feel with a plush progressive feel to them that is confidence inspiring to ride faster. I would recommend getting in contact with them & discussing what type of suspension set up your looking for. Excellent work with great customer service has been my experience with them. [/quote

Much appreciated. Do you still have your 07?

Much appreciated. Do you still have your 07?

Yes.  The previous owner of the bike contacted me in the past about purchasing the 07 B-kit from me.  I've owned (3) 07's & have one left with 0 hrs. in showroom condition. 

Yes. The previous owner of the bike contacted me in the past about purchasing the 07 B-kit from me. I've owned (3) 07's & have one left with 0 hrs. in showroom condition.

Are you considering letting the suspension go? Is it a b-kit shock as well?

Are you considering letting the suspension go? Is it a b-kit shock as well?

Yes for the right price.  It's a true B-kit from FC with both forks / shock & have a receipt for the work done plus FC has a record of it.  Send me a pm if your interested. 

I thought the previous owner had bought a set of CRF450r forks with B-kit components off a pro down south in the LA area ?   

Edited by H4L