Sign in to follow this  

Additions from standard, Advice please

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on adding a few bits to my KLX, some because I have to and some because it'll make life easier.

Have already started buying a few bits and bats but I'm concerned after reading a of you get the stator rewound, that I'm going to be over loading the standard setup.

I need to add a horn (to pass the MOT), I'm planning on changing the headlight to LED (to help off set everything I'm adding) as well as wiring in a main and dipped switch for the headlight. I'm also going to add a charger and mount for my phone (mapping software) and also think I need to be adding a fan to the rad, as I boiled it over on my last ride out!

I think that's everything, unless there any more suggestions?

Cheers,

Martin

if your bike is still standard then getting a jetting kit will take care of the overheating,if you're going to be adding all of that stuff then yes getting a stator upgrade is needed

Hmm Ok, well if re jetting will cure the overheating issue, I'm only adding a horn and Phone charger, since I'm removing a lot of draw (30W) from the system by changing the bulb to an LED unit I expect I can get away with the charging system as standard. Planning use the current headlamp output for the horn and use a new/different feed (from battery) for the headlamp. Horn is probably only going to be used once in a blue moon, so it's impact will be negligible.

I did speak to a company in the UK who outright refused to re-wind to anything but standard, I don't really fancy sending my stator abroad for a re-wind, so not sure I have much of an option anyway.

I'll look into re-jetting as that could save me a boatload of hassle and money :)

What is your riding style? It will let you know...

Even jetted correct, it will still overheat if you idle, ride slow technical trails, or hill climbs. If you keep a good pace it will be fine.

I am geared down to 12:53 and ride slow tight stuff mixed with hill climbs, lots of clutch work, and had to put on oversized radiators and a boyesen water pump.

- Horn
Should be fine, Australian klx450's (mine) come stock with the horn, indicators, headlight low/high switch. I haven't had an issue with running it flat yet, although that may change with some of the additions I'm putting on.

- LED H4 globe replacement
You'll have to run the headlight on DC power. Stock the headlight is powered from the AC side of the system. I'm also waiting for my LED headlight to arrive. The easiest & cheapest way I found was to run the headlight off the battery. Otherwise, you can convert the power from AC to DC (I got some comments on this in my last thread). There's a good video Vegas RoManiac uploaded to YouTube which explains how to do it (and he has links in the description to what you need). I guess the pro for this method is that when you're battery dies you can still ride home if it's night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHJFvjwkI4

- High/Low Beam switch
Mine came with this but as mentioned above, providing it's powered by DC, you shouldn't have a problem with dipping the lights. Swapping to LED headlights (but depending on the size you get) you should draw less from your power - well that was my theory anyway.

- Phone Charger
Absolutely no idea, if it were me I'd do everything else fist then check the system to see whether you're in the red or not.

- Radiator Fan
Mine used to overheat frequently. Found a thread on here I think that suggested re-jetting the carb would eliminate this problem usually (depending on the type of riding you're doing). I can't remember stock settings but currently I think I'm running stock pilot, stock jet needle on the 4th clip from top (by memory), and a 180 main jet (probably should be closer 170/175 though). Couple this with removing the snorkel on the stock airbox and you might feel a bit of an increase. When I did mine I also used silicone around the airbox fittings and joins to the intake pipe - looked like a heap of dust could get in there.

Yes. Get the stator rewound and a lithium battery. I found the rad fan absolutely nessesary if your riding technical slow stuff. Nothing sucks more than running down the battery and the e start doesn't work.... I'm very glad I did the stator mod to both my klx450's

• Like 1